• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Pocket Computer WAV, BAS, IMG - 26-3530 Horse Race Analyst Software Package

FalconFour

Experienced Member
I came upon a boxed copy of this, which I couldn't find posted online - so I took the opportunity to capture and archive it.

1703011912010.png

Just in case you happen to stumble into a horse race some day. That still a thing? Oddly specific piece of software, but I dig it.

WAVs (directly from recording, as well as filtered, and a clean copy re-created by pocket-tools from the binary), as well as a binary *.img and a decoded *.bas, are all included there.

Just in case you happen to stumble into a horse race some day. That still a thing?
There are still many dozens of horse racing tracks in America from New York to California.

It's a $3.5 billion industry that employs close to four million people.

Betting on horses in America was $12 billion in 2021. I'd say there is certainly a market for this kind of program.

There are still many dozens of horse racing tracks in America from New York to California.

It's a $3.5 billion industry that employs close to four million people.

Betting on horses in America was $12 billion in 2021. I'd say there is certainly a market for this kind of program.
300 in the US (as I read on the internet so it must be true). Australia leads with 479.

It was incredibly popular when it was the only legal form of gambling outside of Nevada. They have hung on by, some how, co-opting slot machine income (to keep the industry) and offering betting at many US (and other countries) tracks from whatever track you are at. There are racing channels on TV that go from N. America then Australia and Japan.

The SCOTUS decision to allow sports gambling will not kill it as they will/have offered sports gambling onsite. Since parimutuel betting is against other bettors, you can, conceivably, win - if you can estimate the probabilities of the horses winning better than the betting public. You need to be significantly better, however, because the take outs are ~15-25% depending upon the type of wager.

Wow! Well, being the only available form of gambling was probably a huge factor.

Today, when I hear "horse racing", this is the only thing that comes to mind:

Fascinating (and a bit wonky) to think that it still has a bigger audience than retrocomputing. It feels like a zombie market. But then again, to me, shoes feel quite similar as well - and _that_ ain't going anywhere ;)

I know the track near Belmont closed some years ago, but it looks like Golden Gate Fields near Berkley is still open. You could always load up the Horse Race Analyst on the ol' Pocket PC and clean up at the racetrack!

I've never gotten into betting, seems too much like work - and I live in Nevada

Back