• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRSDOS 6.x Config/sys bypass (SYSGEN)

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
How do I bypass the LS-DOS/TRS-DOS 6.x config/sys file? the disks I have are trying to talk to a Hard drive by way of SYSGEN which I do not have connected. At the moment. Any help appreciated.

From the LDOS manual...

You can override any breakable AUTO function during power up or reset by holding down <ENTER> during initialization. This may be your only way of regaining control of the system, if the dos-command is not a working program. If the AUTO function disables the <BREAK> key and the AUTOed program is non-functional, it may seem impossible to regain control of that disk. Should this occur, simply BOOT another (non-AUTOed) disk in drive 0. When the LDOS READY appears, place the non-functional disk in drive 0, type AUTO, and press <ENTER>. The runaway AUTO function will then be removed from that disk.

I think you asked how to bypass SYSGEN not AUTO.

I recently finished rewriting TRSDOS boot subsystem. It has a couple hidden features and even a couple Easter eggs.

Here is a couple tips

To bypass AUTO, just hold down ENTER after you enter time or during IPL process.

If you then want remove that AUTO just type AUTO @TRSDOS ready and it changes auto command to carriage return.

Now what I think your asking is how to bypass SYSGEN. Instead of pressing and holding ENTER (like for auto) press and hold CLEAR. If you then want delete SYSGEN after TRSDOS prompt type sysgen (off) and it's gone for good (caution).

If you want start TRSDOS powerful debugger hold D key down instead of CLEAR or ENTER during boot.

There is a few other features but this should get you started.

BTW,...I think you can hold both clear and enter at same time. Not sure if you can also hold D.

In boot IPL it reads these keys NOT using keyboard driver but just manually checks if keys pressed. It's possible it tests all 3 in same boot, I cannot remember.

Back