• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

trsnic Is a TRS-80 Network Interface Card

pski

Staff member
Details are in the blog post, but essentially trsnic is a TCP/IP network card for the TRS-80. It's more a "project" than a "product" at this point and still has a ways to go, but it is basically working for plain TCP/IP networking. There are examples of how to use it and detailed API documentation on the trsnic GitHub site.

I can't offer enough kudos to Arno Puder who open sourced his RetroStoreCard upon which trsnic is built.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

Pete

Looks interesting!

Argh another thing I want to study and play with in my (non-existant) spare time :(

A couple of questions about building based on 20 seconds looking at the repo:

- DIRS = boot ihex2cmd trs esp (src/Makefile)

No sign of boot ihex2cmd or trs in the repo . . .?

- include $(IDF_PATH)/make/project.mk (src/esp/Makefile)

Which compiler are you using?

I suppose a more general question is how to build this out-of-the-box.

PJH

Being wireless is a huge plus for me. I'd love to have something like that to make it possible for me to copy files to/from my PC via wireless.

-Kevin

@pjhacnau, thanks for pointing that out. I removed those Makefiles for now. trsnic currently builds only using the Makefile in src/esp as it only consists of the esp32 component. Other than some client example programs in the src/client directory.

The only tool needed to build the esp software is esp-idf which can be obtained at https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/

One other question - from the RetroStoreCard github repo -

"Note: although it is possible to connect multiple cards to the TRS-80's I/O Bus, not all cards are compatible. In particular, the popular FreHD hard disk emulator is not a good citizen on the I/O Bus as it takes over complete control. It is therefore not possible to connect both FreHD and the RetroStoreCard at the same time to I/O Bus. Future versions of FreHD will hopefully remedy this."

Have the problems here been quantified? I'm assuming the problem would carry over to your use of the card.

PJH

One other question - from the RetroStoreCard github repo -

"Note: although it is possible to connect multiple cards to the TRS-80's I/O Bus, not all cards are compatible. In particular, the popular FreHD hard disk emulator is not a good citizen on the I/O Bus as it takes over complete control. It is therefore not possible to connect both FreHD and the RetroStoreCard at the same time to I/O Bus. Future versions of FreHD will hopefully remedy this."

Have the problems here been quantified? I'm assuming the problem would carry over to your use of the card.

PJH

To be honest, I have yet to try it myself with a FreHD. I've been using it with my M3SE without issue. I just need to set up the cable on my MIII with FreHD.

I saw that project. Specifically I was hoping someone was selling the chip pre-programmed. I don't/haven't had enough reasons to invest in a programmer.

Back