• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Two 60MB Emerald tapes

Yeah, you're right--from the photo, the proportions didn't look right for a full-sized DC cart, but I guess my eyes are fooling me. I've cursed at too many of the darned things lately.

DC2xxx tapes are the 'mini' cartridges (about 3" x 2") that were commonly used with PC tape drives that attached to the floppy controller.

Those look like full size QIC tapes (in the neighborhood of 6" x 4"), and the labelling indicates 600 foot tapes with a capacity of 60MB, which makes them DC600 presumably intended for use in a QIC24 tape drive. QIC24 drives could typically also use DC300 tapes (300', 30MB), DC300XL (450', 45MB) and DC600A/XL (1020', 100MB). There is also a DC600A tape cartridge (also 600') but it's unclear to me whether it's actually any different from DC600 aside from being "approved" for use in QIC120 tape drives where they can hold 120MB rather than 60MB (QIC120 drives writing 15 tracks rather than QIC24's 9 tracks).

-ken

The only thing I can add is that they're ~6" by ~4" by ~½"

I'm just asking for shipping cost, if somebody knocks on my door they're free.

DC2xxx tapes are the 'mini' cartridges (about 3" x 2") that were commonly used with PC tape drives that attached to the floppy controller.

Those look like full size QIC tapes (in the neighborhood of 6" x 4"), and the labelling indicates 600 foot tapes with a capacity of 60MB, which makes them DC600 presumably intended for use in a QIC24 tape drive. QIC24 drives could typically also use DC300 tapes (300', 30MB), DC300XL (450', 45MB) and DC600A/XL (1020', 100MB). There is also a DC600A tape cartridge (also 600') but it's unclear to me whether it's actually any different from DC600 aside from being "approved" for use in QIC120 tape drives where they can hold 120MB rather than 60MB (QIC120 drives writing 15 tracks rather than QIC24's 9 tracks).

The "DC" standards were pretty loose. In point of illustration, take the Adic 32-track format on DC-600 tapes. A Cipher 525 "floppy tape" drive wrote data not compatible with anything else, etc. There were also the "XL" carts; e.g. DC600XL--later christened the DC6150. Then there were the over-optimistic compression drives--you know, get more than 500MB on a DC6150, etc.

I've got lots of full-sized drives, from a 3M fixed-head (2 track) to the aforementioned Adic and a few SLT drives.

As far as physical size, I still have my Irwin drive and the DC-1000 mini-cartridges.

Doesn't mean that I don't hate the format and think it was a lousy idea. Strangely, DDS has proved to be a more durable medium--neither the drives nor the media seem to suffer the problems that the DC setup has.

Last edited:
Back