• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Two IBM PC XT's 5160

wrljet

Experienced Member
I have IBM 5160 XT's that have to go due to major downsizing.

Pictures: http://www.wrljet.com/PCs/

The chassis and internal components of both are very clean.
Some I have washed, some were new when installed.
One cabinet is pretty good. One has some small rust spots.

Both have 8087 math chips, and 640K on the motherboards.
One motherboard came as a 640K, the other was 256K which I
updated with bigger RAMs, added the missing mux chip, and changed
the jumper.

One has a single half height 360K floppy drive and working 20MB MFM
hard disk.

The other has two half height floppies and no hard drive. That one
has a clone power supply.

I think both have Mono cards, and one has a VGA.
The mono and VGA don't co-exist all that politely.

One has an Intel Above Board. And there's a Hercules graphics card
in the box.

FREE, LOCAL PICKUP ONLY in Bethesda MD USA (top of DC Beltway).

These must be collected by Tuesday, 20 August to save them from the
county metal/electronics recycling.

Send me a private msg or email through the forum if interested.

Bill

Hope someone gets them. Very nice systems and be ashame to see them go to a recycler. Have you thought about if you don't get the hits put them on ebay? I mean folks will gladly cover shipping and I think starting them off low would get your moneys worth for any packing trouble. Alternatively there may be some services that come to your house to pick up packages at the buyers expense too.

Not interested in doing eBay. I've sold over 400 items on eBay over the years and it's gotten too expensive with fees and shipping costs, and I'm simply burned out. I won't put anything on eBay I can't comfortably hold at arms length, or which I don't think will net $50.

Not to be a jerk about it, but it's not worth my time and hassle.
Properly packing a PC to my standards is too much work (and expense for the box and materials) for the expected return.

Hope someone gets them. Very nice systems and be ashame to see them go to a recycler. Have you thought about if you don't get the hits put them on ebay? I mean folks will gladly cover shipping and I think starting them off low would get your moneys worth for any packing trouble. Alternatively there may be some services that come to your house to pick up packages at the buyers expense too.

If no one picks them up would you be willing to sell the internals out of them? Packing a floppy drive or vga card is a lot easier than a whole system. I would consider advertising that you'll part them out and let people make offers on parts, if no one picks them up that is.

Yup, no problem with your gear going the way ya want :) On the bright side I do see you had some success with other items for pick up so best of luck :) Parting it out will again end up with the hassle of shipping but it's sometimes easy if it fits in those one size one price boxes at usps. Personally I don't think they're that delicate though and wouldn't worry about shipping anything without a monitor, but I respect your decision. Wish I was closer like most folks ;-)

What?! Booooo! ;-) Is it ok to cross post this for you? I don't think you did but I can post it on cctalk and old-computers.com if you'd like (with the same info as local pickup only, actually I could just send the link to this post to keep it in one place for ya).

Sure, if you want to.

Two tested 5150 motherboards are going to a nice gentleman in Denmark, though.
(but that's the extent of me breaking my own No-Shipping rule)

The two XT's are spoken for. They say "Thanks" for saving them from the dump.

Glad they were saved :) The gent who I think saved them also said thanks in general for the post, he's a collector (cctalk) so good home for them.

Back