• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UK based Vintage Computer Podcast

Ian Dixon

Hi all
I am a big fan of RCR and was thinking of doing a UK based vintage show. I currently produce a weekly podcast The Digital Lifestyle Show (up to show 374 now) and would be looking to launch a new UK based show so if anyone has any suggestions for features or is interested in being a host please let me know.
I was thinking of doing a UK events section so if there are any UK vintage events coming up let me know.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I think it's a thoroughly good idea. I too am a fan of RCR but I think there is room for another podcast on the subject.
We have a very different computer history on this side of the pond and it would be nice to reflect that.

All the best,

Andy.

Hmm, replied to this and its showing but saying my posts are 0

and I get this :

Errors
The following errors occurred with your submission
Database Error

Certainly go for it! Rikki, there have been some database issues on the site lately from a minor site update and the admins are still cleaning up the mess (hence the possible database error even though it does post your message).

A lot of shows and events like to highlight some of the systems that were developed locally as well if you have any plan for that. But I think anything's interesting. Have you seen RetroGamerVX's (Steve) youtube videos? Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTlRENwbXM not that he's the only one out there either but certainly puts on a good show. (Just thinking out loud if you wanted call in guests, etc). I don't recall if they still host a VCF UK (or was it GB?) or VCF Europa.

I'm a fan of the RCR too (well, except for the bits when David and Earl talk instead of me), and I think a UK based vintage podcast is a *great* idea. All the retro computing fun plus nicer accents?! What's not to like about that?

Also, there is a great UK-specific history to home computing that doesn't seem to get addressed much by the current retro 'casts, so there's definitely a void to fill there too.

Definitely count me among the eager-to-subscriber-ers.

I would also be a listener for a UK-based podcast. I'm a regular listener to David, Carrington and Earl's show. In fact it was Earl's retrobit podcasts that inspired me to start collecting and get engaged with the community. It would be great to have a UK perspective on vintage computing history.

BTW, Earl and Dave, I know in a past roundtable there was some mention of rumour that I might be doing a podcast myself. No, there is no intention to do that, at least at the moment. Too many other projects on (like these collection videos) and of course, real life!

If only real life didn't happen, then I could spend all my time on this enjoyable retro-computer stuff! :)

Terry (Tezza)

Terry,

Sorry for the delayed reply, but that's OK, your YouTube videos are a "podcast" already! Another form of new media.

Best,

David Greelish
- Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
- Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

http://about.me/davidgreelish

Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

Sorry for the delayed reply, but that's OK, your YouTube videos are a "podcast" already! Another form of new media.

Yes, well when you look at it that way I suppose they are, but without the commitment of a regular release. It's only by good fortune I've been able to spit them out about once a week so far. Very soon, I can see them stretching out to one a month though, as the summer holidays wind down here, and work and family things gear up.

Still some interesting models to go...The Kaypro II (that's next), the Lisa, the Model 100 and of course the C-64. Some oddballs like the EACA colour genie. Then there is the Epson QX-10. The Sinclair QL...and quite a few more including the 16 bitters. On my collection page, I'm working slowly down the list from left to right going down. I'm looking at it as a long-term project to get them all up on You Tube. :)

Terry (Tez)

A UK VC podcast sounds like a good idea. Should it have the same "live co-hosted chat-show" format as rcrpodcast, or were you thinking of a rotating solo presenter per episode (out of, say, a set of three regulars and occasional guest presenters), and recorded offline? Also, video+audio or audio-only?

The chat-show format takes some organising and getting geared up for *live* shows may take some practice - not everybody is a natural presenter. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a stab at a multi-person show - not that my experience is anything like as extensive as Earl, Carrington and David; but at least it is from the British Isles.

There is also the cost of hosting and streaming service to consider - I can offer the former from my hosting provider, but we would hav e to work out who was going to pay the latter (YouTube Associate or similar scheme?).

I'm curious to know how (and where) the audio streams from multiple remote hosts get mixed for a live cast, can anybody enlighten me? I'm wondering if special hardware or software equipment is needed to pull that off...

hm.. there was a member here who used to host an online radio show from his professional gear at his home. I remember chatting with him on IRC but don't honestly remember who he was.

A lot of folks are actually doing it and recording it via google groups now. Sort of like a multiuser skype conference. Not sure about costs. There was another popular podcasting site out there too that I thought did it for cheap or free but I'd have to find it.

Back