• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USB with Win95

nc_mike

Experienced Member
I am working with a Gateway GP7-500 that has two USB ports. I've got it configured for triple boot (DOS/Win, Win95, and Win98). I know I've got the BIOS configured correctly as the USB ports are recognized by Win98SE. I've also gotten the port to be recognized under DOS. For Windows 95, I've installed Win95x OSR2.5 - which comes with USB support. by the way, I think the GL7-500's USB ports are likely USB 1.1, but haven't been able to verify). After installing Win95 OSR2.5 you have to install the USB supplement from the Other>USB folder on the Win95 install CD, reboot, then install a patch from the same directory and reboot - which I did. Oddly, when I plug in a USB disk drive that is recognized under both DOS and Win98SE, Win95 still doesn't recognize the port as being active. The USE device under Devices>Properties shows that a device drive is installed and working properly. I am trying to think of what to do next to get the USB port to recognize the device I know works under the other two OSes.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Mike

I thought the USB support was slipstreamed in to OSR 2.5. (Or was that second update post 2.5?)

Anyway, even with the USB update, Windows 95 does not include a mass storage driver. You can get one for 95 here: http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Also, even if the ports are 2.0, they will be limited to 1.1 speeds under Windows 95.

Yeah USB support was added to 95 really, really late and when it did come it was almost unusable due to a total lack of drivers for anything out of the box.

Won't WIN95 recognize the USB port if you first load it from DOS and then start WIN95?

Ya know, I could try that since I have it working on my DOS/Win31 partition. I can add the same drivers to my Win95 partition in its config.sys and see if it works.

Regards,
Mike

I thought the USB support was slipstreamed in to OSR 2.5. (Or was that second update post 2.5?)

Anyway, even with the USB update, Windows 95 does not include a mass storage driver. You can get one for 95 here: http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Also, even if the ports are 2.0, they will be limited to 1.1 speeds under Windows 95.

The WIN95c OSR2.5 ISO image I have didn't slipstream it into the install, but it does provide the USB drivers on the installation CD and with that version you have to manually install the driver, reboot, then apply an update. The installation CD provide the instructions in the Other>USB directory. I might have to hunt for an older Cruzer - not sure that driver will work with newer ones - but can give it a go.

There is also the XUSBSUPP - eXtended USB Supplement for Windows 95 OSR2, I have it on my Win 95 box and it works fine with the flash drives i have.

I think I might have found the blocker - Checking my system devices I see that the PCI Bridge Controller is also not enabled and needs a driver. Apparently the driver for it only came on a supplemental 3.5" diskette for Gateway systems called the 'Integrated Controller UATA Files for Win 95' which I couldn't find online, but found a physical copy I can get. It looks like those drivers are pre-reqs to use the USB supp that comes with the W95 install CD (I tried XUSBSUPP but it didn't work - I am guessing that until I install the driver for the PCI Bridge Controller neither will work (ref: https://panam.gateway.com/s/issues/1119171.shtml and https://panam.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/misc/s01569/s0156903.shtml and https://panam.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/win95b/s0212601.shtml

Regards,
Mike

I have a Gateway restore CD that was designed for that era of systems - containing drivers for Windows 95, 98, and NT. Do you have a specific driver filename that is needed? I can dig through the CD and find such if you can provide the name. If not, I can send a few things from the disc that could get it working.

On this CD, it has several driver files in a folder labeled "Bus master". Also has some drivers related to Windows 95 mass storage USB drivers.

I have a Gateway restore CD that was designed for that era of systems - containing drivers for Windows 95, 98, and NT. Do you have a specific driver filename that is needed? I can dig through the CD and find such if you can provide the name. If not, I can send a few things from the disc that could get it working.

On this CD, it has several driver files in a folder labeled "Bus master". Also has some drivers related to Windows 95 mass storage USB drivers.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the kind offer. I have all of the the original CDs for the machine (including driver CD, app CD, OS and restoration CD) and have poured through every driver on them. I even have several new compilations of Gateway driver CDs- none have the PCI Bridge driver(s). I think they only made it available on a floppy. I'll get a copy of the original floppy in a few days and make its contents available for anyone else that might be looking for it in the future as those systems and motherboards were pretty common. I'd not be surprised if the drivers were on some other manufacture's driver disk but I have no way of knowing what the names of the INF and supporting files are.

Regards,
Mike

Back when I ran 95, I used a copy of SYSDM.CPL from a Windows 98 machine. Would this help it recognize newer hardware?

Thanks

Thanks

Back when I ran 95, I used a copy of SYSDM.CPL from a Windows 98 machine. Would this help it recognize newer hardware?

I might take you up on that if the diskette that I have coming doesn't do the trick.

Mike

Sorry for the late reply, but even installing the USB drivers in Windows 95 is a lost cause. The issue is that the kernel itself does not support WDM drivers - and pretty much everything USB is WDM, not VxD. Neither OSR 2.1 or 2.5 have proper USB support.

Back