• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF East 2023 Photos

voidstar78

Veteran Member
I've posted some notes and photos of my experience at the recent VCF East 2023. Had a great time, glad I went (even though yes, Saturday got a bit crowded).

Thank you for sharing your notes on your visit to VCF. I read all six categories. I got there at the opening on Friday and got my bearings. I was initially confused but used the maps and guide to figure out where and what to do. Yes, Saturday was very busy - I guessed it was about 500 people but I am curious what the actual count was. I arrived early and immediately got in line. Turned out the wait was over an hour. But I met some nice folks in line from the Pittsburgh area and from the Toronto area. We had some nice conversation while we waited for the consignment to open. First I bought a shirt and then picked up some items. It was difficult to gather everything, I could have used a shopping cart.

I also drove over to the beach at Asbury Park and drove along the water. I did not walk the boardwalk but I saw many of the same buildings as you showed in your pictures. I ate dinner at Vics Italian restaurant just to the south of there. A nice evening.

I guess it's a matter of opinion as to what is meant by "Vintage Computers". Personally, I put the Vintage term on equipment near the beginning of "Mini" computers and on through "Micro" computers around the time just before the PC wars that ended up with IBM calling it quits in "personal" computers. But there is a lot of overlap with the 8-bit machines that became fairly common in many households, at least for those who could afford such things. I think I am about the same age as many folks at the event who started out with either a C64 or an Apple II. I started with a CP/M business computer (A NorthStar Advantage) but I always wanted to have a C64 when I was in Junior and Senior High School and could never come up with the money. I was happy to see so many folks younger than me taking an interest in some of the old stuff like a PET or Apple IIc or an IBM 5150.

Seaken

Thank you for your time to document your visit.

Being the "wrong side of the pond" it is very difficult to attend these events (I haven't managed yet), so reading about them is always interesting.

Dave

Back