• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF Midwest - who's going?

Many folks selling things who brought alot to sell have modern methods of accepting payment, not just cash. However, cash is usually the best way to go.

As for parking, if you lose your spot, don't expect to get it back so easily during the busiest hours. My friends borrowed my car mid-day last year, and had to park 1/4 mile down the street rather than in the hotel lot, so when we left for a dinner break, we had to hoof it a bit to find my ride. The good news is by then, many folks had left for the day, so we were able to find a good spot when returning from dinner.

If you're at one of the overflow hotels, carpooling really does help.

Thanks for the heads up on that, it sounds like event is going to be very busy! Pack a lunch and leave it in the car ! LOL

I've been asked by a number of people to go to Midwest. This year I'll be flying out but I'm sorely tempted to drive out next year, possibly.

The reward applies to everyone. Look for the Canadian with the crazy hair and 80's glasses and if you are the first to recognize me you win a bottle of Canadian Maple Syrup.
Can you bring me a bottle of maple Sortilege?

Is the parking seriously that bad? It's only about an hour from my house, but I don't like the idea of leaving my vehicle in a Walmart parking lot a half mile away. And then if you buy stuff, you need to lug it back that far.
The lot fills very early Saturday morning and remains to through dinner. But additonal parking has been arranged!

I don't suppose it would be bad form to bring some sort of a cart with you in high hopes you can find what your after there?

From anyone going to events in the past recent, what are the chances of finding stuff for sale like IBM 9595, or some sort of a early 90's tower, like AST or Compaq fitted with EISA slots?

Assume its all preferred to be cold hard cash transactions there?
Every vendor is independent (i.e. we don't do consigment), so each will be different. Most of the "pro" vendors will be set up for cards and other electronic means (as is the VCFMW shirts-and-things table), but many are also just random attendees selling their surplus, so they may be cash-only. Come prepared!

We do see a lot of old PC junk treasures lately. Some people like that stuff!

A cart if OK but don't plan on being able to drag it around the hallways, especially during the busy period on Saturday. Probably best to keep outside on the sidewalk area to the south of the main vendor hall (there are a number of doors there), carry your stuff out to it and wheel it to your car.

As posted above, additional parking has been arranged, about 80 spots: https://vcfmw.org/parking.html

Last edited:
The additional parking is awesome to hear.

This falls on my wife's birthday every year, and despite her saying I can go, I'm not in a hurry to test that one :ROFLMAO:. But, I really do want to make it done one of these years if not this year, it's only about a 3.5 hour drive for me from the west coast of MI.

Only if you pay duties and taxes. ;)
Good point, so how does this work coming back with no receipt? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I did I ever have a *fun* 3 hour experience with that and an old transmission I decided to drive over, pick up and bring back one night....
Every vendor is independent (i.e. we don't do consigment), so each will be different. Most of the "pro" vendors will be set up for cards and other electronic means (as is the VCFMW shirts-and-things table), but many are also just random attendees selling their surplus, so they may be cash-only. Come prepared!

We do see a lot of old PC junk treasures lately. Some people like that stuff!

A cart if OK but don't plan on being able to drag it around the hallways, especially during the busy period on Saturday. Probably best to keep outside on the sidewalk area to the south of the main vendor hall (there are a number of doors there), carry your stuff out to it and wheel it to your car.

As posted above, additional parking has been arranged, about 80 spots: https://vcfmw.org/parking.html

Thanks for the info on this, that will surely be handy!

Jonathan

Good point, so how does this work coming back with no receipt?
I kept all the receipts from the consignment at West and jsut declared what I bought, which was about $200 in stuff. They had no issues and let me through.

I'll be there again this year showing off my Exidy Sorcerer, Umtech VideoBrain, and Spectravideo SV-328. I'll also be selling some random items for a friend who lost his job (XT Power Supplies, Atari 2600/7800/8-Bit controllers, Dreamcast controllers, a PCjr monitor, and a Penitum 1 IBM ThinkPad)

I kept all the receipts from the consignment at West and jsut declared what I bought, which was about $200 in stuff. They had no issues and let me through.

Ah thanks - I will try just declaring the value then (assume no paperwork on the declare stuff) .
Fingers crossed I find some stuff im after ,and it goes well getting it home!

cheers, maybe see you there

Jonathan

Cancelled.

First I overslept. Funny part about that is I never oversleep... But today I did.

Hurried up and tried to pack my backpack. Realized it was way too heavy to carry all day, and there were no items in there I was willing to leave behind.

I just wanted to roll in the first day of, and roll out the last day of. Carry my stuff the whole time.

Now I realize what a stupid idea this was.

I am not a traveler. Never have actually been on a trip like this, other than a vacation way back when I was a kid. So, lesson learned. You ain't just gonna roll in and roll out, carrying like 80 lbs on your back the whole time.

Next time I'll plan the entire weekend.

Ah thanks - I will try just declaring the value then (assume no paperwork on the declare stuff) .
Fingers crossed I find some stuff im after ,and it goes well getting it home!

cheers, maybe see you there

Jonathan
Now that I'm here there's a lot of cash-only deals. This is not like VCF West at all.
However there is a LOT of publicity going around right now for the sheer size of the free pile, so peel that sticker off and they won't know. ;o

Now that I'm here there's a lot of cash-only deals. This is not like VCF West at all.
However there is a LOT of publicity going around right now for the sheer size of the free pile, so peel that sticker off and they won't know. ;o

I couldn't make it so I passed some items on to someone that was passing through my area. The items I either got for free or on sale a long time ago, so if I had asked any money for them, I would've donated it to the VCF organizers.

Thanks to KennyPowers for hauling some items to the VCFMW for me!

I had no issues with parking today... but still kicking my ass on the IBM 5153 monitor for 50 bux that had a wobbly picture. Grrr.... which one ya got it? It was first booth at the entrance. Still looking for one...

I seen two Prolineas for sale.. EISA machines .Was super busy. The crowd this year was insane! Couldn't even get into the YT panel. Was too full. Didn't catch it was downstairs this year (my fault). Great deals all round! Sadly no 360kb full height drives. Upside got all my XT documentation stuff cheap! Basic / Guide / debug 5 bux each with floppies. Even grabbed something from the free pile (Some IBM branded Pascal coding robot stuff. And parking lot HDD man had some good deals. Still kicking my own ass on the IBM 5153 monitor that was 50 bux and needed a recap. Seen a working example for over 250 bux, not paying that. Ended up hanging out with Ben Heck till the panel started lol. Was looking for you Next, but didnt see ya brother. And yet I seemed to miss Texelec... If anyone has a reasonable priced 5153 monitor , let me know before you go home....

Last edited:
Back