• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VideoBrain- What is it worth?

Tupin

Experienced Member
I've never seen one of these sold before, but the guy wants $130 with two controller and Pinball, as well as a power supply. Untested. What's it worth?

I can't really say what it's worth. It's a rather rare computer system.
There's one on fleabay for $129.99 at the moment without carts.

If you like old 'puters and want something odd and old in the collection then I'd say that $130 isn't all that bad. It's not too expensive, just a lot of money. :)

I'd be careful about the untested part. It's easily worth $150+ if it works, but in my experience they're tough to fix if there's something wrong with it. I had to cobble together a working system from two non-workings myself.

The thing you need to keep in mind with VideoBrain is that it's not programmable without the APL/S cartridge, which is supremely rare (I know of only one active owner at this time) and you won't even be able to save anything without the slightly less rare Expander 1. In other words, for all intents and purposes, what you're left with is a very cool looking console with some fairly mediocre games... With that said, it was the first computer to have four joystick ports and use cartridges, so there's that if that's your thing...

Yes, my Expander 1 was successfully disassembled, dumped, and documented (not by me). A few more APL/S cartridge owners have surfaced, but no one interested in having the contents dumped.

Hi Bill
Are you just going to leave me hanging like that?
Is the information available someplace?
Dwight

Hi Bill
Are you just going to leave me hanging like that?
Is the information available someplace?
Dwight

This was heavily discussed multiple times on the VideoBrain list and I'm sure several people have it, but I'm not aware of a central repository. I'll be happy to send you a zip file with all the contents. Just let me know a good email address. I had mentioned the same thing to you on Armchair Arcade.

This was heavily discussed multiple times on the VideoBrain list and I'm sure several people have it, but I'm not aware of a central repository. I'll be happy to send you a zip file with all the contents. Just let me know a good email address. I had mentioned the same thing to you on Armchair Arcade.
Hi Bill
I found the zip file. I'd thought there was a schematic generated. Not
a big deal as it used a 3870 and I'm not about to have a mask ROM
made.
I'll look at the code and see how it interfaces with the VB.
Thanks
Dwight

Hi Bill
I found the zip file. I'd thought there was a schematic generated. Not
a big deal as it used a 3870 and I'm not about to have a mask ROM
made.
I'll look at the code and see how it interfaces with the VB.
Thanks
Dwight

Maybe one day I'll come across a 38P70 then I might change my mind.
Dwight

Back