• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Compaq Enthusiast

exs1s

Experienced Member
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a retired guy from the UK. I have a keen interest in vintage Compaq IBM compatible machines including the early SLT, LTE, 306 etc series as well as the Elite and 5000 LTE series. The purpose of joining is that I have many years experience with these machines and could potentially help folk to get them working with various tricks, drivers and software etc.

Welcome to the forums!

Maybe you can help me, I'm in search of a HDD caddy for a LTE Elite 4/75CX I just picked up to restore. You wouldn't happen to have any lying around you would be willing to sell off would you? Or an idea of some sort of adapter I can use for the connector. I'm sure I can't possibly be that lucky LOL

Welcome to the forum, have a nice collection of vintage compaq's myself. Let us know what you are interested in!

Welcome to the forums!

Maybe you can help me, I'm in search of a HDD caddy for a LTE Elite 4/75CX I just picked up to restore. You wouldn't happen to have any lying around you would be willing to sell off would you? Or an idea of some sort of adapter I can use for the connector. I'm sure I can't possibly be that lucky LOL

I am afraid I don't. Although there's a seller on eBay who dismantles vintage laptops called Computer Trade Exchange. Keep an eye on their shop as things like that do come up from time to time.

Welcome to the forum, have a nice collection of vintage compaq's myself. Let us know what you are interested in!

Current models I have are Compaq LTE Lite 4/25, LTE Lite 4/33, LTE Elite 4/75, LTE 5000 75MHz, Deskpro 386s & Prolinea (not sure which model, it has loads of ISA slots).

Hello!

I too like the early Compaq stuff.
I have restored an SLT/286, and Portable II. The Portable II was a huge job but it's in great shape now!

You wouldn't happen to have SLT/286 memory modules? I'd love to reverse engineer them. From online pics, they appear to have not only DRAM, but some glue logic, so I can't really recreate them without one in hand.

Far more rare, never seen a picture, is the 1536KB RAM board for the Portable II. It attaches to the back of the motherboard, saving a slot. I'd also like to reverse engineer that.

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I've not been here long as I've only just started to collect/repair vintage/retro Compaq Laptops - so personally it's very nice to see you here! :)

I've only got 8 Compaq laptops (considering I only started in December 2018 that's quite a good start). I've a couple of 486DX2 Contura laptops and the rest are more modern Armada's.

I particularly like the Compaq Contura series. Wrong colour for me though - I like the retro white/cream/ivory type colours. I've never seen a Contura series with a docking station, not everyone wants one, but I like the docking station for the ISA ports you typically get with the LTE docking stations.

You wouldn't happen to have SLT/286 memory modules? I'd love to reverse engineer them. From online pics, they appear to have not only DRAM, but some glue logic, so I can't really recreate them without one in hand.

I've never actually taken my SLT/286 apart, although I have been tempted a few times purely out of curiosity. I'll refer back to this post if I do and let you know the part numbers as well as post photos.

Far more rare, never seen a picture, is the 1536KB RAM board for the Portable II. It attaches to the back of the motherboard, saving a slot. I'd also like to reverse engineer that.

Afraid not. I've never actually seen a Portable II in the flesh, so to speak, and I've never met anyone who owns one. They're super rare here in the UK.

I've never actually taken my SLT/286 apart, although I have been tempted a few times purely out of curiosity. I'll refer back to this post if I do and let you know the part numbers as well as post photos.

Afraid not. I've never actually seen a Portable II in the flesh, so to speak, and I've never met anyone who owns one. They're super rare here in the UK.

If your SLT/286 has more than 640K RAM, then you have memory modules.

Here is the memory module my SLT/286 has. It's 1MB. See the pictures, they're as clear as I could get.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Back