• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage game suggestion

orion24

Experienced Member
All right people, I'm looking for a good vintage PC video game to play (one that I haven't tried so far). What are your suggestions?

What is the machine you're using?

The machine is a PC. I have lots of hardware and Microsoft operating systerms from all PC generations.

Prince of Persia, Pinball and Lemmings I have already played. I'll look into the others you people suggest.

King's Bounty. Excellent tactical RPG. There are C64 and Apple II versions, but it was written for the PC so play that one.

You might search this site for the dos gaming thread(s). Lots of great suggestions all around. What type of game genre do you mostly enjoy?

What type of game genre do you mostly enjoy?

That's a good question. Generally I'm open to anything and I've enjoyed many types of games, including adventure (the DOS andenture-style games), strategy, action. The only thing I've never played is RPG, so if someone has a suggestion for that, better make it a friendly one for those that never played RPG before

If you want real fun, without too much pain about jumping/shooting/crying in right time, try Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, and The Secret of Monkey Island! Such beautiful games!

The only thing I've never played is RPG, so if someone has a suggestion for that, better make it a friendly one for those that never played RPG before

Vintage RPGs tend to be a bit hardcore, and PC RPGs even more so. But strategizing and building your character and party into heroes is very rewarding. Later RPGs tend to be more accessible. It's hard to recommend even a fantastic game to someone not familiar with the conventions of the genre at the time. Consider this blog post from a professor introducing his students to the legendary Ultima IV.

And as much as I hate to say it - even after they learn to craft potions, speak to every villager, and take notes on what they say - it isn't much fun for them. They want a radar in the corner of the screen. They want mission logs. They want fun combat. They want an in-game tutorial. They want a game that doesn't feel like so much work.

How about a couple RPG styled games that aren't quite so stat focused? Try Pirates! and Starflight. Lots of exploration in those games.

I do think the Ultima series is a nice classic and it scales over several generations of hardware although I haven't played the earliest ones which I did hear a rumor of having to buy a space ship and some other oddness.

The classic (to me) RPGs which were fun (but it helps if you have some inside knowledge I guess to traditional Dungeons and Dragons) were the SSI/TSR series. One of the blasts I love from it was if you start out in Pool of Radiance series you can import your characters to the next game in the series or start over. It sort of gave your characters a legacy you could follow.

Pirates! was popular, for later systems (486 era I think) Civilization I think was a way too addicting but fun game. In the later years I'd also recommend Terminal Velocity (early years I'd say check out Elite of course) and Descent which were pretty crazy graphically at the time for 3d space/flight games. Unfortunately they both probably play best on a Pentium class system which is getting out of our vintage category but still in the dos era.

Oooh.. I almost forgot too. Wizardry series which I also never had the opportunity to play through but one developer recently said that some choices you made (I think you import your character as well in 6 through 8? at least) in the games actually did have some affect in the plot of the next ones.

If you want real fun, without too much pain about jumping/shooting/crying in right time, try Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, and The Secret of Monkey Island! Such beautiful games!
Awesome games both of them, but already played them. I must have finished that Indiana ones hundreds of times. I liked it so much that I recently purchased the CD-version brand new (lol).

Doom, what else?
I did play some of it in my youth, but I consider games like this a bit "offending" right now and avoid them

I do think the Ultima series is a nice classic and it scales over several generations of hardware although I haven't played the earliest ones which I did hear a rumor of having to buy a space ship and some other oddness.

The classic (to me) RPGs which were fun (but it helps if you have some inside knowledge I guess to traditional Dungeons and Dragons) were the SSI/TSR series. One of the blasts I love from it was if you start out in Pool of Radiance series you can import your characters to the next game in the series or start over. It sort of gave your characters a legacy you could follow.

Pirates! was popular, for later systems (486 era I think) Civilization I think was a way too addicting but fun game. In the later years I'd also recommend Terminal Velocity (early years I'd say check out Elite of course) and Descent which were pretty crazy graphically at the time for 3d space/flight games. Unfortunately they both probably play best on a Pentium class system which is getting out of our vintage category but still in the dos era.

Oooh.. I almost forgot too. Wizardry series which I also never had the opportunity to play through but one developer recently said that some choices you made (I think you import your character as well in 6 through 8? at least) in the games actually did have some affect in the plot of the next ones.
I remember hearing about "Ultima" way too often when I was purchasing PC-game magazines in the middle 1990s, but I've never played any of them. If they are good though I might give them a shot. Problem is that if the game gets too "complicated" I dough I'll have enough "patience" with it
Then, the Pirates! Since you speak of a 486 I suppose you mean the Pirates! Gold. I tried to play this game many times and I couldn't even do the basics. They were sinking my ship on the first combat. Civilization I have played but never finished it. People that did were telling me it had a bug that you needed to let the Europeans capture a city of yours and then retake it in order to win. The rest I haven't tried. I will look into.

Could you be more specific? I'd be happy to recommend a game that shows off the system optimally, but "PC" is not enough information. What is the CPU, what speed does it run at, and what graphics and sound do you have?
I said I have all sorts of hardware. From 286 all the way up to Intel Nehalem. If it is a PC game, I'll find a way to make it work, whichever generation it is from. All I want is the game, as a game, to be good.

The 7th Guest. One of the first games to be released on CD-ROM.

Nothing else like it at that time.
I'll try this one as well

In the meantime I tried the Wolfenstein 3D. Not bad I must say, from the initial looks of it.

I remember hearing about "Ultima" way too often when I was purchasing PC-game magazines in the middle 1990s, but I've never played any of them. If they are good though I might give them a shot. Problem is that if the game gets too "complicated" I dough I'll have enough "patience" with it
They are fantastic, but they are also a lot of work. Work that pays off. Read the link I posted above for some modern perspectives on Ultima IV(one of the most highly regarded RPGs ever).

Then, the Pirates! Since you speak of a 486 I suppose you mean the Pirates! Gold. I tried to play this game many times and I couldn't even do the basics. They were sinking my ship on the first combat.
You can avoid combat by sailing in friendly areas until you've earned enough money to get a big crew which makes the combat a lot easier. You can also engage in diplomacy to make allies so you don't have to fight.

If it is a PC game, I'll find a way to make it work, whichever generation it is from.
That's a fun game in itself. :cool:

I said I have all sorts of hardware. From 286 all the way up to Intel Nehalem. If it is a PC game, I'll find a way to make it work, whichever generation it is from. All I want is the game, as a game, to be good.

It's hard to pick something exact without knowing which hardware you want to use, but if you have a 286 then give Indianapolis 500 a few laps around the track. If you put an Adlib or Sound Blaster in the machine, even better (engine sounds are better). The game is a technical masterpiece (very fast framerate with auto-adjusting detail based on machine capacity). It runs on anything, but is impressive on slower machines (16Mhz or lower).

Back