• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage IBM Forum

I suppose this ain't a good time to mention that you've also overlooked the IBM 5140? (Don't sweat it, everyone would like to forget that monstrosity, especially IBM).

--T

You are free to respond with sarcasm .. that's your right. But I think the criticism was constructive, not meant to be rude.

My question is, why a new forum - what is it that you want to do that is different that should make it compelling?

Well, how about a forum that offers some real info on the later IBM PCs. We already know virtually everything there is to know about the 5150, 5155, 5160 and the 4860. However, the 5170 and 5162, which form the completion of the PC architecture, are still largely undocumented. More info on these machines, more documentation is highly desired.

No offense, but for me it's just a matter of time. It's difficult for me to find a few minutes every other day or so to check this forum. Another one? I just can't be sure I could commit the time.

Think about how libraries evolved, as central repositories for knowledge. Consolidation of resources came to be accepted as the most reasonable way to ensure that said knowledge was maintained and passed on. Right now the web suffers from severe information overload. A given google search is going to yield 90% trash and 10% treasure. That said, is it wise to add yet one more "resource"? Obviously, if this is something you want to do, I'm not going to fault you, but I stand firmly on the side of the cooperative effort rather than division of resources.

Hello. I have recently acquired a couple of seemingly rare very early IBM Selectric Mag Card machines. It appears that it may have been possibly the first word processor based on my limited/unsuccessful research. This unit is a Selectric typewriter hard wired to a magnetic card reading memory base. It has been very difficult to find any information whatsoever outside of the original manufacturer brochures. So if anyone out there knows any information about these (value, rarity, etc), it would be much appreciated.

Back