• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Photos of Sperry PC and Leading Edge Model M

wesleyfurr

Veteran Member
There has been a little talk of late about the Sperry PC and the Leading Edge Model M, both being manufactured by Mitsubishi. Long before my time there, a prior employer of mine was a Unisys/Sperry shop, and had one (or maybe more) of the Sperry PC's. I think they may have had a special card in them to talk to the Unisys boxes, I don't recall for sure, but there was something special about them. They switched to Leading Edge M's when they found out they were identical, less expensive, and as I recall, also came with a word processing program.

Years ago I scanned some old marketing department slides and other images that had some photos of the computing environment and offices. Found two great images with the Sperry/LE machines, and thought folks here might enjoy seeing them.

18.jpg29.jpg

Thanks,

Wesley

I currently have the Model M. Very distinctive look, a silver bezel. And the distinctive Leading Edge triangular logo. When I obtained it, the bezel was perfect, now it has a burnished groove in it. Ah well, what can you do. The case itself has rust issues, and needs a repaint. None of that scares me, just how to bix the bezel . . .

I have a Sperry that I bought at a government auction back in the late eighties or early nineties and used it for several years after installing a hard drive to run a communications program for controlling a broadcast transmitter. Just sat there and worked without issues. The biggest difference was that the place that you would normally see the parallel port was the COM 1 or 2 and was reverse gender just like a parallel port. Also it used its own unique looking case, power supply and mother board but otherwise was a PC/XT but maybe the best thing about it was the data plate on the back that identified it as a Sperry / Univac, still have it around here somewhere just because of the Univac name.

Back