• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage TV as Apple lle display?

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
I may be finally getting my hands on an Apple IIe soon, only it's just the computer and not the monitor.

I do have a small vintage CRT tv I can use as a display (it has RF and composite) and I use it with things like my Atari 2600, NES, etc.

I'm just curious if I use this TV as display how would it look like on the screen? Would it also be green, would it be white text on a black screen, would it be shades of grey, etc?

Does anyone have a photo/video of this? Is it even possible?

Well you didnt post a photo or twll us what brand tv you want to use. Also if your apple ii doesnt have a Sup'R' Mod (popular apple ii rf modulator.. no rf modulator came with the system) you have no way to connect to the vintage tv via rf. The apple ii has composite video out and many flat screen tvs have a conposite video connector yours may as well. But the small crt tv with conposite will work regardless.

I try to avoid RF on this TV as much as possible, thankfully it does have Composite input, and mono audio as well.

I'm currently using it as the display for my commodore 64, though that will be not for much longer as I'm literally getting a Commodore 1702 monitor delivered this weekend, by my uncle who helped me out by buying it locally where he lives.

The TV is just I think a cheap TV, it was made in May 1985, "Nyon" brand, according to a sticker on the back.

I'm more so wondering though would I get a color display from the IIe if the TV is color (which it obviously is) or is the IIe only capable of monochrome and so I will get that no matter?

CT5FVF7.jpg

I'm just curious if I use this TV as display how would it look like on the screen? Would it also be green, would it be white text on a black screen, would it be shades of grey, etc?
The Apple II outputs color and that's part of its claim to fame... only mentioning this as it isn't clear you realize that.

This works fine for something like The Oregon Trail. 80-column text on the other hand not so much (unreadable).

The Apple II outputs color and that's part of its claim to fame... only mentioning this as it isn't clear you realize that.

This works fine for something like The Oregon Trail. 80-column text on the other hand not so much (unreadable).
If I used the front composite input on the Commodore 1702 I have coming in, would it be readable then or still no?

Honesty the 1702 might not be much better than the TV, it depends on the quality of the TV. The reason the 1702 is better than a TV for Commodore computers is both they and the 1702 support what is called on later TVs “S-Video”, IE, luminosity and chroma (color) information carried on separate wires. The IIe doesn’t support that so the composite input on the TV is theoretically just as good as the one on the front of the 1702.

Where the 1702 might still win is it *is*, even via the front port, better than some TVs at detecting when the input signal is monochrome and turning off its color filter correctly for better bandwidth. (Apple II text modes are black and white.) TVs are supposed to do this, but often fail to.

we'll I have decided I will buy the Apple IIe and then hunt for the monochrome monitor to go with it, for now using the TV as a display. Though I will try the 1702 just to see if there really is much of a difference. There could be as this TV is a cheapo.

Back