• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Voyetra midi card

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I have an 8 bit ISA card with a Voyetra sticker on it and some Roland chips. There is a 25 pin connector on the back where a breakout box fits. That box has midi in/out and a couple RCA jacks (audio maybe).

Anybody know much about this?

Looks like this?

v4001.jpg

If so, it's the V-4001 MIDI interface - one of Voyetra's fully-compatible MPU-401 clones. Documentation and other errata can be found here:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/370.asp

Hi!

I found a similar card in a computer I bought: It says OP-400X on the back, however it's missing the breakout box.

Do anyone now if this card also is MPU-401 compatible? Without the breakout box I guess it's worthless anyway, but would a Roland MPU-401 breakout box (MIDI processing unit) be compatible? I see those are available on eBay. A long shot, but if I don't ask, I don't learn :)

Thanks
/Björn

voyetra_front_op-400x.jpgvoyetra_back_op-400x.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm.....

I might need to dig through my Voyetra Sequencer Pro package tonight and see what I can find (if they have a catalog). Seems Voyetra was sort of like the M-Audio of the 1980's.

Sequencer Pro was a DOS based Multi-Track MIDI recorder program for DOS. It could run on an original IBM PC 5150 at the minimum, and you could use either the computer keyboard or an actual Synthesizer setup for MIDI I/O. I actually have working installations on my 286 and 486 that I do tinker around with on occasion. Maybe I should hook up my old Yamaha PSS-780 via MIDI and make a video on the 486.

I haven't found anything useful on this card so far. If you or anyone else dig up something would be great!

It's much more fun to play those old Sierra Games on original hardware than through DOS box and USB Midi :)

I know the Sierra Games can be patched so you can run through the Sound Blaster MIDI port, maybe I should do that, but it's not the same challenge.. :)

Maybe someone even has an MPU-401 or compatible for sale?

/Björn
Hmm.....

I might need to dig through my Voyetra Sequencer Pro package tonight and see what I can find (if they have a catalog). Seems Voyetra was sort of like the M-Audio of the 1980's.

Sequencer Pro was a DOS based Multi-Track MIDI recorder program for DOS. It could run on an original IBM PC 5150 at the minimum, and you could use either the computer keyboard or an actual Synthesizer setup for MIDI I/O. I actually have working installations on my 286 and 486 that I do tinker around with on occasion. Maybe I should hook up my old Yamaha PSS-780 via MIDI and make a video on the 486.

As Cloudschatze already indicated, your Voyetra card is most definitely MPU-401 Intelligent Mode and UART compatible. It probably does need the breakout box, although I suppose that it's possible for someone to have worked out the pinout for the connector for a homebrew version. For instance, there isn't any real trickery for the breakout box for the Roland Super MPU - all of the logic is on the card, and the breakout box is just a series of connectors, traces, and a few coupling caps, IIRC. Ditto for the connectors on the Music Quest MQX-32m and the Midiman MM-401 full MPU-401 cards.

You might want to use Google to search Quest Forums and Vogon's in case someone has already done the work. Alternately, put up a post there and see who bites!

I've googled on this particular card but haven't found anything useful, but you're probably right. I'll check those forums and ask if someone has any advice to give.

Thanks

As Cloudschatze already indicated, your Voyetra card is most definitely MPU-401 Intelligent Mode and UART compatible. It probably does need the breakout box, although I suppose that it's possible for someone to have worked out the pinout for the connector for a homebrew version. For instance, there isn't any real trickery for the breakout box for the Roland Super MPU - all of the logic is on the card, and the breakout box is just a series of connectors, traces, and a few coupling caps, IIRC. Ditto for the connectors on the Music Quest MQX-32m and the Midiman MM-401 full MPU-401 cards.

You might want to use Google to search Quest Forums and Vogon's in case someone has already done the work. Alternately, put up a post there and see who bites!

Seeking MPU-401!

Seeking MPU-401!

Hi guys, I have an Ibm 5150 I am trying to run Voyetra Seq+ Gold on. This card or an MPU-401 rev 1.5 or higher is exactly what I need. Anyone here have one they could part with, kindly PM me!
Thanks so much!!
Best,
_BT

Hi guys, I have an Ibm 5150 I am trying to run Voyetra Seq+ Gold on. This card or an MPU-401 rev 1.5 or higher is exactly what I need. Anyone here have one they could part with, kindly PM me!
Thanks so much!!
Best,
_BT

Why do u think u need a revision 1.5 or higher... did u get that idea from this page: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.ca/2013/06/mpu-401-my-most-favorite-vintage.html ????????????
because these guys are only concerned about their vintage DOS gaming. its not apparent at first but thats why his blog is called nerdly pleasures! we're talking sierra pre-EGA adventure games from 1985-1989 using midi working with desktop sound modules such as the MT-32.

*** they DO NOT use voyetra Sequencer *** + and they have little experience using midi for music production purposes. only for entertainment purposes.

i have a 386dx40 + a 486dx266 here, so my situation differs from you in that im using "AT" machines from the early 90s not "XT" machines (the ibm 5150! is the prototype for the XT machines i just read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer) from the early 80s.(wow thats older than i thought it was)

anyways..
i have ordered a number of different DOS supported midi interfaces... (2 mpu401's, 1 mpu-ipc-t set of card + box, 1 mqx-32m music quest card) and im going to be getting an official voyetra card, and testing with soundblaster cards as well in order to figure out if its possible to combine multiple midi interfaces with SPG to get the most midi ports as possible in + out of the sequencer app.

i suggest if you are still interested in this subject that u log onto skype! ;)

i will be adding more into on this page: http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=2368

Last edited:
Back