• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Alberta Vucom (Control Data) Terminal Boards and Parts

Alberta

bburley

Experienced Member
Delivery Options
International Shipping or Local Pickup
A long time ago, I had to move and I took this terminal apart (because it was heavy) and put a few items into a box, never to be seen again until the current re-organizing.
A few circuit boards, a few loose parts, and plenty of internal cables with connectors. Any interest?

Panel.jpg

5176400 IR 529A
51767402 (2 of these)

51767400 IR 529A.jpg51767400.jpg51767402.jpg

That doesn't sound familiar - I looked a little further and Control Data had a number for it of 92423-10 and also referred to it as CC5A5-A or CC5A6-A. (Slightly different than the number above of CC6A9-A)
The name displayed on the front was "VUcom I" and called a "Conversational Display Terminal".
Then they made a special version of it referenced by "QSE 14965" where they changed the interface board from 1EZE-1 to 1EZE-3 to upgrade to RS-232-B to connect with an AT&T 202 series modem.
And no, I am not that smart or have that good of a memory - I peeked in the manuals :)

Back when I used the 713 (IIRC), it was a widely-spaced 8 line display, upgradable to 16 lines. The rear panel looked pretty much like the one you show, but the baud rate stopped somewhere around 1200. CDC had a dual system of numbering--a fairly simple one (3 digits) for equipment for use on CDC installations, and then the 5 digit (9xxxx) one for OEM use, with many variations. Same situation with disk drives and printers.

Anything is possible, just have never seen any reference to 700 Series. The manuals that I have are scanned photocopies, so not great but these images are accurate. Now that I see the printer and tape unit, I remember having those too. I don't remember for sure what I did with them, but they are long gone. What I remember best is how heavy everything was. The desk they sat on could have survived a tornado :)

Terminal.jpgTerminal, Printer, Tape.jpg

Well, if I don't learn something every day :)
I had to add that manual to my collection, even though I don't have the terminal anymore.
And I just finished uploading my poor-quality manuals to archive.org

In the late 60s and early 70s, we used very different terminals on the 6000-series hardware. Intercom ran on the 200 UT: http://bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/terminal/82128000_200_User_Terminal_Hardware_Reference_Jul68.pdf
6 bit (display code) + parity. A year or two ago, someone posted a photo here of the display controller + display that someone had turned up. We never had the Selectric typewriter--standard setup was the controller+card reader+line printer (drum unit, not train).

Well isn't that interesting. As soon as I looked at the picture, I recognized the keyboard right away. I still have an almost identical (mine has a few more keys) keyboard. Mine is the CDC CA112-A. I wonder if anyone here would want that? (although I did rewire all of the keys to drive another device).

Back