• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanna buy a pet, or 70?

Sorry to burst your bubble that you just "love that we got them for free"..
In that case I stand corrected. There's no need to get upset. Simply make the correction and move on. Unlike this instance, none of the recycling companies i've done business with buy equipment.

Good luck with the sale.

Heather

I have a question for the seller, this lot didn't sell it had unsuccessful offers and I would like to know.... Is the seller going to be potentially parting out this lot and maybe selling on here? Profit isn't a bad thing I have nothing against it just curious whats the game plan!

Well obviously he's asking for opinions in the matter. It didn't sell and he inquired if perhaps 10 Pet lots would be easier to sell. BTW, as you can see yeah we've discussed the math and we're all familiar with the pain of a great price getting inflated due to shipping or driving. All in all your price wasn't that bad for the lot depending on the condition of the systems but exactly as you all found, it's how much it costs to get 70 Pets lol. Amazing and a dream but yeah a thousand or more probably to get 'em.

That being said I don't know personally if 10 would sell better or not. I think the buyer would be in the same situation. How many Pets can they acquire in one grab. Now given, it could perhaps entice folks with pickups vs NEEDING a uhaul if I was going to pay to drive there, etc then yeah not renting a vehicle would improve the sale.

I was sorta thinking just listing them as-is separately which would take a lot longer but probably sell for $50 perhaps plus shipping from the buyer. If you found a few that look good enough to power on and take pictures (or fix them up) you can make a few extra bucks off a working one for sure. Pet's are great systems for collectors and have that wonderful vintage look to them so they're pretty desirable. It's just the $50 value and $50 to ship that makes things askew. $50 would be low for a working one btw, it's the unknown factor that my head is thinking they'd be easy to unload as such.

Just my $.02 .. before taxes, shipping, ebay and paypal fees. That's why my advice is free ;-)

I would bet selling them one at a time maybe 1-2 a week would be best but it would take a year to clear them out.
In one lot you pretty much lose the collector croud since they have no use for 70 units, resellers can't make a profit unless they are local and you sell them much cheaper then the auction price, scrappers might not want them depending on what disposal costs for CRTs are in your area.

Find a smart kid locally who'd love to spend his summer holidays cleaning, testing, prepping and listing them on eBay for a share of the profits (and keeping the best one for him/herself).

In that case I stand corrected. There's no need to get upset. Simply make the correction and move on. Unlike this instance, none of the recycling companies i've done business with buy equipment.

Good luck with the sale.

Heather

Not upset. Just don't like assumptions that recyclers get stuff for free and looking to "get one over on someone". Are there recyclers that do that? Sure. There's bad apples in any industry.

As for not getting paid for scrap material, you're dealing with the wrong people. What do you deal in? Myself and IdahoCommodores have connections nationwide of E-scrap buyers. Generally you'll have better luck selling in quantity, but there are buyers who buy by the piece.

A recycler who gets stuff for free and resells it is still preferable to one who scraps everything and anything they get their hands on. I wish my electronics recyclers would resell stuff.

I spoke to a member from here on the phone today. Nice folks here! And i understand the confusion, their are so many people that have a negative stigma about "scrappers". "Oh, they're meth heads, gypsys, drunks!" Etc. Some smaller guys get stuff for free, then think they're sitting on a gold mine. Like i explained over the phone, not even close to the case here haha. My company, Old School Recycling partnered with Mark's company on this deal. We both have a substantial investment. We're just trying to make sure the right people get the right stuff! I DO NOT believe in scrapping anything that has value to someone. I'm like the "American Pickers" of the scrap industry haha. (Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me!)

Anyway, the 10 on a pallet idea is fantastic. Although, i don't know about how stacking them would work. I tried to visualize how it would stack, and i just don't know if it would work.

Oh, to answer, we still have the lot. The auction ended. Lots of interest, lots of nibbles, but no bites. Mark and I will work on it, and see if we can't get something figured out.

Thanks for having such an awesome place to meet up!

I don't know what kind of shipping companies you have, but 10 PETs would equal 330-375 lbs not counting the pallet itself. That might be nothing for a B2B shipping company. Perhaps you can have made a multi level platform so the computers wouldn't have to stack on top of themselves.

A little update on this...they relisted on Ebay again at a lower price. This is all well and good, except that I had talked to them 3 times on the phone, and we had verbally agreed on a deal. I cleared a weekend to so I could go (July 20th), researched plane tickets and truck rentals, and made sure I could get the money. I also spent 2 days cleaning out a storage area to put the PETs. I had added only one condition: that they give me an inventory of the exact machines I would be driving across the country to get. The guy I talked to promised me he would get that for me before the 4th of July. I heard nothing for nearly 3 weeks, then I got the "An item you were watching has been relisted" message from Ebay. Really? So apparently getting model numbers was just too much to ask? I completely understand if they decided they wanted to try to get more than I had offered, but they did this after agreeing to a price, AND without even the courtesy of calling to let me know the deal was off.

At this point, I'm going with SkyDivinGirl's first impression. Somebody might still want to do business with these guys, but it ain't gonna be me.

Call it spiteful, but I deliberately waited to post this AFTER the auction had closed to avoid giving them publicity they don't deserve.

Back