• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: Case for B700/B256-80, have spare 6509R4

Kakemoms

Experienced Member
I need a home for a proto HP board Assy #8256068 that apparently came from Commodore Germany when they closed down. I have a 6509R04A (revision 4) with production date 5282 that looks new.

If you have a spare case or extra non-working B700, I hope we can figure out a deal.

Not much response. According to some there should be 50000+ PET-II /CBM-II out there, but I doubt that.

I am also open for using a Commdore 8296 case or P500 if you have one. E.g. a non-working unit which needs a mainboard.

Hi how much do you want for the 6509?

Sorry, I got my case and have no 6509 for trade at the moment. They are expensive though if you can find some (250-350USD/pc). I would suggest contacting special companies that trade in old chips - you may get lucky.

Sorry, I got my case and have no 6509 for trade at the moment. They are expensive though if you can find some (250-350USD/pc). I would suggest contacting special companies that trade in old chips - you may get lucky.

Congrats on finding a case, $250-$350 is well mental so it's cheaper to buy a b series complete. (that's what I did last time for around £50)
I'm hoping that Visual 6502 come up trumps or someone mods a 6502.

Congrats on finding a case, $250-$350 is well mental so it's cheaper to buy a b series complete. (that's what I did last time for around £50)
I'm hoping that Visual 6502 come up trumps or someone mods a 6502.

Well, a P500 went for £500 a couple of weeks ago and that was pretty low compared to a B700. Good luck finding another one at £50!

Well, a P500 went for £500 a couple of weeks ago and that was pretty low compared to a B700. Good luck finding another one at £50!

In europe, I don't know about america but the P500 is usually way more than a b128 (b700).
I have always found them to be cheaper. I paid around £50-60 for both of my b700's.
One was part of a job lot that had a c128, +4 and mps801 printer.
I paid £250 for my P500 from a seller who bought it for £25!
If you look hard enough you can find a bargain!
Both had working 6509's so I used one to fix my P500.
That's why I have a non working b700 now.:(

Last edited:
That's why I have a non working b700 now.:(

Do you have actual B700's or are they 710/720's? I'm trying to track CBM-II serial#'s and the only actual B700 that's labelled as such that I've seen so far is my own unit, serial#75. If yours are also B700's with real serial#'s can you tell me the serial#'s for my database, or better still email me a picture of the label(s)? Also, do your units have real HP motherboards or retro-fitted LP motherboards like my own?

http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/computer/b715/index.html

Steve

Do you have actual B700's or are they 710/720's? I'm trying to track CBM-II serial#'s and the only actual B700 that's labelled as such that I've seen so far is my own unit, serial#75. If yours are also B700's with real serial#'s can you tell me the serial#'s for my database, or better still email me a picture of the label(s)? Also, do your units have real HP motherboards or retro-fitted LP motherboards like my own?

Steve

One's a b710 Steve, I'll have to check the other when I get it down again. (stored up the loft at the moment)
It looks like the one in the pics with commodore in blue and red, but i'm not sure of exact model number.
(I've been using b700 to mean any b700 series i.e. b710, b715 and b720)
Maybe a b700 is rarer model than P500 then so apologies to kakemoms if that's the case.

I remember you getting that one from the UK off ebay was that a couple of years ago?

One's a b710 Steve, I'll have to check the other when I get it down again. (stored up the loft at the moment)
It looks like the one in the pics with commodore in blue and red, but i'm not sure of exact model number.
(I've been using b700 to mean any b700 series i.e. b710, b715 and b720)
Maybe a b700 is rarer model than P500 then so apologies to kakemoms if that's the case.

I remember you getting that one from the UK off ebay was that a couple of years ago?

Thanks! Yes, that's the ebay one. It died the first time I plugged it in and I haven't had time to look at fixing it. I'm hoping none of the rare chips got fried.

I collect the serial#'s to get an idea of how many were made, but that really doesn't tell you how many are still around. I'd say the P500 and the 7xx models are both pretty rare. Only the B128 seems to be fairly common. They seem to pop up on ebay regularly, so anyone who really, really wants one shouldn't have a problem getting one. I do consider myself lucky to have found the "B715" though.

The two production machines I still don't have are the CBM256-80 and the 720. I've seen them on ebay but the prices are generally too high for my liking. I'm not in a hurry... ;-)

Steve

Thanks! Yes, that's the ebay one. It died the first time I plugged it in and I haven't had time to look at fixing it. I'm hoping none of the rare chips got fried.

I collect the serial#'s to get an idea of how many were made, but that really doesn't tell you how many are still around. I'd say the P500 and the 7xx models are both pretty rare. Only the B128 seems to be fairly common. They seem to pop up on ebay regularly, so anyone who really, really wants one shouldn't have a problem getting one. I do consider myself lucky to have found the "B715" though.

The two production machines I still don't have are the CBM256-80 and the 720. I've seen them on ebay but the prices are generally too high for my liking. I'm not in a hurry... ;-)

Steve

I hope your chips last forever! Unfortunately they tend to have a limited life, especially MOS chips from smaller series (6530, 650x ++).

The mainboard I bought has Assy# 8256068 printed on it (e.g BH256-80), and looks like a mainboard from a B720D from pictures of similar boards. It has two cables sticking out of it, one of which is connected to the IEEE port (which is usually connected to the internal disk drives). According to the seller it was a prototype board that didn't have a case. I put in several socketed ICs that were missing (all the soldered ICs were in place). It has 128KB RAM installed, but the rest (128KB) are empty sockets. I am not planning to have more than 128KB since most software runs under that.

The unit has been fitted with a BH case, a new original CAEG power supply, but no keyboard. I am planning to make a keyboard from scratch, keeping it within similar design criteria, but sightly different. With Cherry MX switches probably. :)

Steve

Hi Steve just a quick reply, just been up the loft and the B700 is a B710.
I always label the outside so when I next open it up I'll let you know the serial and board type.

Back