• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted Cheap Old Laptop/Palmtop

mutantcamel

Experienced Member
Hi I'm after a fully working machine, anything from a 286 to a 486 which has less than 100mhz. It must be dos based and have a parallel port. I live in the uk, so don't be wanting to pay mega bucks on postage for some heavy thing!

I need it to save files to and the software only works on older machines.

Thanks!!!

Hi Jeff (just a hunch)...

Would something like DOSBox ratcheted down to the required speed do what you need? Or is there some specific hardware that you need also (besides the parallel port)...5 1/4" perhaps. I don't have the kit you need; just trying to find a cheaper, perhaps quicker, option for you.

]3ob

Hi it's not Jeff! I need a computer to save and transfer files to from my TI Compact Computer 40 and TI-74 Machines. The PC Interface uses some software from around 1988 so it the hardware needs to be a lot slower than my current pc.

I have downloaded the Dosbox emualtor for my PC but have not been able to get the setup to work as of yet. I don't need any special specs, I just need my pc to run at less than 100mhz in dos mode....

Thanks

What Phil (mutantcamel) is working with is the pcif.exe program which is used with the PC Interface for the TI-74 and with an adapter the CC-40.

Like Phil said, the program was written in the '80's and faster computers, over 100MHz, are just too fast for the 74 and 40 to keep up.

It connects via a parallel port which explains the parallel port requirement.

The program is DOS based so the ability to run Windows is a non-issue.

The disk I sent him is a 1.44 3.5" so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Ideally, a Poqet or Gateway Handbook or some other handheld unit would be ideal. That or an older 286-486 laptop will work. The problem with the Poqet and that lot is the special connector for the parallel port. If anyone has one of these cables to spare, I'd be interested in one myself!

I had though a HP 100LX/200LX would be nice, but they don't have a parallel port and the adapters that are available tend to be finicky.

AND, before anyone comments on using tiif.exe, for some reason the adapter I built for him just doesn't seem to want to play and keeps complaining about the TI-74 isn't connected and shuts down. Not sure what that's about, but such is life.

How about a Compaq Contura Areo 486/33?

How about a Compaq Contura Areo 486/33?

These are light,small laptops with a parallel port and probably not cost a fortune to send to the UK.They are usually pretty easy to find on eBay.(I got mine there)
cgrape2

Curtis -

I'm running TIIF.exe on a Dell Celeron box under Virtual PC 2007 - Not perfect, but works OK.

Jack

Back