• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: IBM PC/XT 720k 3.5" Floppy Drive

STorrence

I'm currently looking for a working 720k 3.5" floppy drive for an IBM 5150/5160 (PC/XT). Can be full height or half height, doesn't matter.

As I understand it the 5150 BIOS does not support 1.44mb. Am I wrong about that?

You're correct that it doesn't support the 1.44MB format, but so long as you use DS2D (no density aperture) media, a 1.44MB drive will support 720K just fine.

Take a look at the attached image. The floppy on the left is DSHD; the one on the right is DS2D. If you cover the density aperture over with a bit of opaque tape, you can make a DSHD work in a pinch.

Attachments

• Atari%20Floppy%20Disk%203.jpg
    Atari%20Floppy%20Disk%203.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
So then a 1.44mb drive will work just fine in a 5150 as long as I only use DS2D disks (or modified DSHD disks) in the drive?

Ebay's full of them. Right now, there's a bunch of 3 with a bid of $0.99 and free shipping. Nobody wants the things nowadays. If you've got a local recycler, they'll probably give one to you to keep it out of the landfill.

Could you link to the auction to which you're referring? I did a search just a little while ago and couldn't find one that I was sure would work with this old a system. Also, will I need a floppy controller to match?

Have a look at eBay items:

...lots more...

You can use your current controller. However, you'll need a power cable adapter for the drive, as well as some way to connect your floppy cable to the drive. You can sometimes find 34-pin edge connector-to-header adapters or you can make your own cable.

Ahhhh, so apparently any old floppy drive is fine. I was hoping to find one in a 5.25" form factor so it would mount nicely in the IBM case. I have plenty of these drives around. Where would be the best place to look for an edge connector-to-header adapter?

Back