• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted mid 70's computer to appear in film- Bank scene

Here's what I recall seeing in banks at the time:

Tellers did not have terminals at their windows. Behind the counter would be 1 or 2 typewriters for updating passbooks, usually IBM Executives, Selectrics, or Selectric IIs. A small branch may have 1 or 2 CRT terminals if the bank did anything beyond batch processing, often 1 in a back room behind the counter where it was not visible to customers, sometimes a second elsewhere, like the accounts manager or loan manager's desk. Loan managers found them great intimidation devices when selling loans. A teleprinter might live in the back, too, often in a soundproofed box. The bank manager's desk would not have had a terminal, nor any other business machines aside from an impressive multi-line phone and possibly an intercom if the phone didn't have that function. It would demean his position to have anything else--calculators, terminals, and typewriters belonged elsewhere, where the worker bees were. He might ask for the teleprinter's box to be opened so that the sound of it would fill the bank to impress someone, however.

Larger branches would have a couple more terminals, perhaps, and possibly tty's in rooms where the sound wouldn't reach the customers. The computers themselves were elsewhere, where the customers weren't, reached over leased lines. A data mux
might live on a shelf near the leased line heads, usually with the phone line punchboard (and patchboard, if present.)

As a teenager I worked as a disk-pack and data cable monkey for a couple of financial institutions during summers in the mid-seventies.

Last edited:
If we're talking about a teller's station, wouldn't a terminal made by a vendor who catered to the field such as Bunker Ramo be most appropriate?

1975 - America's largest on-line bank teller terminal system. Bunker Ramo began installation of 9,000 terminals in over 1,100 branches of Bank of America throughout California.

I doubt that anyone remembers Bunker-Ramo any longer.

I'd suggest the Bunker Ramo Teleregister Banking Terminal typical of the 70's vintage teller terminal.

*maybe* a terminal used to communicate with a server in the back, with a receive teletype / Western Union receive station. Generally speaking there would not have been any terminals in public view unless the bank were performing other services such as sending electronic messages as a service or other financial information communications. There would not have been any actual banking done with a terminal I would think, in AU, right?
b

Back