• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: Southern Cross 1 Vintage Z80 computer User's Manual

Hi Ross,
Thank you for your reply.
I am interested in building this thing up if at all possible, so would appreciate a copy of the manual and the monitor program. I understand the disappointment and annoyance associated with rip off and design copy and this has happened to me several times. ziloo has been helpful explaining the issue and I appreciate his help, but I don’t yet have a manual copy. Finding this out has really flattened my enthusiasm for this whole project. Maybe a double lesson for the kids I want to show this thing to. Anyhow, my email is shown above, I will understand if no one is prepared to help with this.

Paul.

I guess what we don't yet understand is what are you trying to do! If you are an
engineer by trade, you know that you should ask your questions directly without mixing
things up. You talk about legality of what you want to do, and then you talk about
another board which could have a modified design and then it goes back and forth.....
If you need a copy of the manual, having read the previous posts on this thread,
you should/could have asked for one directly!

I received a copy of an e-mail that was sent to you from a fellow who received
a copy of the manual and put together a complete SC-I board, telling you that
he is ready to help you! If you haven't checked your e-mail or you haven't
received his memo, I will forward his memo to you and then you can directly
communicate with him. You can't get an offer better than that! I will also
send a copy of the manual your way....

Let me know if you have received my e-mail!

ziloo

Hi ziloo,

Thanks for the manual. I did email you back as soon as I get it. I have also been contacted by the fellow you mentioned above.

I am sorry if I have not made my intentions clear. I simply want to build up a micro system that is similar to the ones I worked with during my uni time in the late 1970’s. I do a lot of work with final year engineering students at a university here and run a defacto PIC course for students wanting to add microcontrollers to projects. There has been a lot of discussion about what it was like when I was at uni and what we had to work on, especially without all of the development tools available today. I asked around and got hold of a SC 1 kit with a lot missing. It was exactly what I wanted. My idea was to put it together to show the students and have some fun with it.

My issue with rip off copies is that I run a marine consulting firm in Hong Kong and have developed a lot of underwater sensing equipment, most of which has been completely ripped off by others at a loss to me. Unfortunately my company is not big enough to do much about it. I have now turned to PIC’s to be able to (at least) protect further development firmware. So to find out I am actually working with a copy, after actually getting exactly what I wanted, is a bit of a disappointment.

I hope my intentions are clear now. I will post some photos after I get it going. If you would like to know more about what I do then please feel free to ask or to email me.

Again, thanks for your help with the manual. It has made the assembly a hell of a lot easier.

Paul.

Hi ziloo;

I'm in the same predicament with regard to SC1. Could you be so gracious as to send me a pdf of the "Southern Cross 1" user manual. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

email: wab@springdivers.com

Hi,

I have just found a Southern Cross 1 Vintage Z80 computer but without user guide. Does someone have one and send me?
Thanks a lot.

Hi! Nice SBC, I am also interested in a manual ! :D
Someone here actually built one? Seems like a refined copy of TEC-1B!

Back