• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Western Europe Wanted - Tandon TM848-02 8" drive belt

Covers: Germany, France, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco and Liechtenstein

zippysticks

Veteran Member
HI everyone,

need a couple of drive belts for my Tandon 8" floppy drives please - model TM848-02

If anyone knows the belt size/compatibility with other 8" drives, please advise.

Thanks

Admin note - annoying that I MUST select a prefix for something that could be sourced worldwide. .
I wonder if anyone outside my local of western europe would even read my request. Can we have a 'Worldwide' prefix please.... thanks

Over the last few days I learned more about belts than I ever cared to, working on a tape machine. What do you know about the belt? Round? Flat? V-Shaped? With teeth, or without?

Ouch! One of those recently sold on ebay australia I think. Sometimes I ask sellers to put me in touch with the buyer, or ask the seller to ask the buyer to get in touch with me, it's worked all but once to get me some info I was looking for.

My recollection of the Tandon drive was that it was like other drives of the time - flat, rubberized fabric belt. Note that the belt does not have a lot of "stretch"--to put it on, you first loop it over the small drive pulley and then "ease" it onto to the large pulley by rotating the pulley.

As to where rubberized fabric belts can be found today, I'm not certain. It used to be that the same people who provided replacement drive belts for film projectors carried a stock of the things. They were hard to find in 2010: https://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/drivebelts.html

Rubberized nylon fabric is still made, so conceivably, you could cut your own from bulk stock. I've never done that, however.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. I have managed to 'borrow' one (as you describe) from a broken 8" BASF 6104 drive. So you may be right that they were a common size/format.

Would still love to find a source as I need to replace the BASF one now.

Drive now works - although had to replace C1 which had shorted the 24V supply - I recall you called this out as a common failure mode in post years ago - thanks !

Back