• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Was BBSing on the IIe during the recent snow and got to reminiscing

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Nice article. I assume you used a wifi modem but you didnt make mention of what you were using currently in that write-up.

oldpcguy

Experienced Member
What I find most impressive is how developers were able to "stuff" so much functionality into such limited systems. I was young when I first started using these systems and I didn't realize just how limited they were. Now that I am older and understand them better I realize what a feat it was for the developers to get them to do what they did.

Imagine what it would be like if programmers did the same with a modern system?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
dont get me started on thst. everything modern doesnt work and requires updates all day long.. remember when developers released a working program and that was it? almost never were there updates! you cna say functionally they were limited but things just ran better then.

blakespot

What I find most impressive is how developers were able to "stuff" so much functionality into such limited systems. I was young when I first started using these systems and I didn't realize just how limited they were. Now that I am older and understand them better I realize what a feat it was for the developers to get them to do what they did.

Imagine what it would be like if programmers did the same with a modern system?
No kidding. Take a look at this DHR video playback, or this DHR image rendering (both from my blog, FYI).

That IIe has a CFFA3000 in it, as well as a VidHD (and, less notable, a Mockingboard clone). It's crazy what these machines can do today. Don't get me started on my IIgs or my Amigas in this discussion, even...

bp

thenzero

Experienced Member
I saw this on the Facebook group as well, absolutely love that picture. Here’sa recent one of mine connecting via dial up (300 baud!) to Dave Perrussel’s board.0CF5C852-865C-4C3A-9BDA-A8D2CCC9A1CD.jpeg