• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Was there ever a version of BASIC that supported complex numbers ??

Ragooman

Experienced Member
Was there ever a version of BASIC that supported complex numbers ??
This topic just came up the other day when I helped someone adjust their Square Root code.
Basically, checking for negative numbers when you input a number to avoid a math error.
Now FORTRAN and C has supported complex numbers, using a library, for several decades now.
But I never noticed if BASIC had accomplished this.

Dan

Also, IDL (Interactive Data Language) and PV-Wave. I used these extensively in the 90's. Although not advertised as such, they are BASIC variants with special data types and vectorized operations for matrices, complex, and double precision numbers, and validated numerical libraries.

PV-Wave is related to IDL, forked from the IDL code base by Visual Numerics, who replaced the Numerical Recipes their acclaimed IMSL numerical library. They compete in some areas with Matlab, but are more oriented toward image processing. These packages have traditionally been popular with the medical imaging, physics, and astronomy crowds. Nowadays, Numerical Python is also a big competitor.

There are at least a couple of free clones, including GDL (GNU Data Language), and Fawlty Language, both of which appear to be under active development, having been updated in 2013.

Anyone ever use Prime Factor BASIC for the Apple II? Essentially an add-on to the regular BASIC that enabled extended-precision math, modular arithmetic and a bunch of other goodies for the early crypto folks. I still have a copy, but no Apple to run it on.

Back