• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

was there ever a windows 94?

TylerDurden

friend has an old compaq computer maybe 8-10 years old, weird thing is when it boots up the loading screen goes to a Windows 94 screen. i thought there was only a windows 95 atfer version 3.1???

or is he somehow screwing with me?

He's probably messing with you. That splash screen was very easy to modify. I used to have some fairly racy ones. . . :)

Erik

There is however some official Chinese version called Windows 97 - not 98 - based on the 95 release. But yes, "94" is most probably a hack or joke; the beta version was called Chicago if you remember.

Windows 97 was basically Windows 95 with an improved system of Chinese character input~ the same for Windows 3.2!

I can't remember exactly the different between chinese 95 though. I should find my old disks again~~

Re: was there ever a windows 94?

"TylerDurden" wrote:

> friend has an old compaq computer maybe 8-10 years old, weird thing
> is when it boots up the loading screen goes to a Windows 94 screen. i
> thought there was only a windows 95 atfer version 3.1???

> or is he somehow screwing with me?

The way I recall it happening was Microsoft had Windows 3.1 & then in 1994, they updated it to Windows 3.11 - which was just 3.1 with a few added Hardware drivers for Video, etc.

But Microsoft did also have a Beta Version of Win95 (like they should have), though Carlsson is correct in saying it was called Chicago.

Don't know about a Windows 3.2, didn't think there was any, just the NT version of Win3.1x which were different version numbers again v3.5x wasn't it? - or was it just Windows for Workgroups?

Arhhh!! There's just too many of them - just stick with Windows 1.0! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Windows 3.2, just like Windows 97, are all-Chinese targetted products AFAIK, so unless you live in that area, speak the language or are a die-hard Windows affectionato, it is not odd if you hadn't heard about it before. I was not aware about them until I "met" my Chinese boss.

Back