• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WD Black 6TB HD

I routinely handle 50+ year old tapes. No serious issues. I've got a 40MB SA4008 Winchester that's still quite readable--I think--it's been a couple of years since I powered the thing up.

How things can change overnight. I was rummaging around on the shelf above my PC desk when low and behold, a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO turned up. It was a refugee from my old Intel Z170 build and I completely forgot about it. Well, tomorrow I'll stick it in the other NVME slot on the X570 Gaming-F. The 6TB black is on its way and I'm still going to use it on the big gamer. It's really a lot of fun getting old.

Do you have any opinions on "archival" SMR storage lasting 10-20 years? I'm more than a bit skeptical.

I'd assume it'd be like any other hard drive, the less you use it, the longer it'll last.

If 30+ year old SCSI/MFM/RLL/ESDI/IDE hard drives are anything to go by, I'm sure that a good number of modern hard drives would make it that far as well.

I'd assume it'd be like any other hard drive, the less you use it, the longer it'll last.

If 30+ year old SCSI/MFM/RLL/ESDI/IDE hard drives are anything to go by, I'm sure that a good number of modern hard drives would make it that far as well.

Probably under 1% of those old drives are still around and working.

I bought one of these almost 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems.

For years I have bought WD Black drives. Never had a failure.

I would rather have a high capacity SSD, but the pricing is still too steep to warrant buying one.

Back