• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

We need something better than cards for retro PC HD Drive Replacement

I like to buy lots of used SD and CF and USB flash on ebay if I cat get a bunch in one lot for a decent price.

At the time of the 5160, 8GB was unfathomably huge. My 5160 clones use 192M CF cards. Even that was huge for the period.

1.2gb hard disks did exist when the 5160 was new... ...for super computers.

It sounds like CF cards aren't reliable in the same way that hard drives are. I really like hard drives...

CF cards can be a little bit picky, especially with regards to brand. Assuming you don't need a ton of space there are some you can find that will ALWAYS work EVERY TIME because they were designed for this specific function(IE to replace a spinning hard disk).

The good news is CF cards will continue to be manufactured for years to come. I don't personally forsee storage devices as ever being the issue. The retro community seems to be pretty good at engineering solutions.

What type of large storage solutions were available for the PDP 11 in 1983? How fast were they and what were the large capacities?

What type of large storage solutions were available for the PDP 11 in 1983? How fast were they and what were the large capacities?
I don't know about the PDP 11, but the cray XM-P had at least 1.2gb disks available. I don't know what the interface was, just remember reading a lengthy synopsis of the process of recovering Cray software from a salvaged disk.

A couple of friends did, but they're non-communicative. I recall one bragging to me that he didn't bother compiling just the routines he modified and linking the objects for Unix (UniCOS). He compiled everything--it was that fast. He once gave me a "Bubbles" poster--still have it. And we were struggling along with our VAX. You have to recall that this was more than 50 years ago...

At about the same time, CDC was exploring high-speed solutions for the STAR. We used the 7600 version of the 844 drives, but there was a project for the STAR drum--to be used as a paging store. 100K RPM, and, IIRC, in vacuo. Neil Lincoln told me the few times they fired it up, it was a matter of minutes before the observation window was opaque with shed oxide. EBAM was also explored, but recalling that I saw a lonely unit abandoned in a hallway at ADL, nothing every came of it--it was supposed to be very high speed; not so much capacity. Semiconductor memory eventually eclipsed it.

Last edited:
I echo the sentiments already expressed about the gptchatcrap.

When I was putting together my XT clone, I was faced with an uncooperative ST-225 that came with the machine. Try as I might (and for longer than I should have), I could not get it to work.

I bit the bullet and got one of these. I am *very* pleased with the purchase. Set up was instant and I have had no problems. Even got an activity signal running to the HD active light on the front of the box. It came with a 64MB card. I bought a few more very cheaply and also a couple of 128MBs. If I want to skip booting from the CF, it is a breeze to boot to floppy. It is better than having 3, ST-225s.

One thing that has not been mentioned in the thread is how wonderfully easy it is to back up my cards. I can use a modern PC to do this and it is fast. I do still remember how awful it was, back in the day, to try to back up just key files onto to floppy. The economical tape drives at the time were horrible IMO, and I still have a bunch of DC-2120 tape cartridges (120 Mb) - nothing quite like backing up your machine only to find out later your tape was worthless for a restore (regardless of verification when you first made the backup).

For me, this is exactly what I wanted for a modified retro XT clone. I suppose if my need for authenticity were a top priority, then it would be a different matter. My priority is to use the machine as much as I want.

My only complaint might be that after a 'dir' it takes a few seconds to tell you how much space is available.

Last edited:
Posters... I wish I kept the girlie posters from my youth. They dont even sell things like that anymore. Not to mention all the other posters I had which are long gone. In a landfill somewhere waiting for future space explorers to find.

One thing that has not been mentioned in the thread is how wonderfully easy it is to back up my cards.

This has been my sentiment as well. Were it possible I would replace the NVMe drive on my modern workstation with a CF card because the backup and restore is just so easy.

Back