• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Website

Gary C

Veteran Member
Anyone else had Norton declaring the Website as a 'known unsafe website' ?

I have submitted a dispute but I wonder if anyone else has run into issues ?

I would suspect they're scanning the website for suspicious code. Some of the assembly or c code posted here probably matches something "suspicious" in their algorithm and they're marking the site due to the match.

Norton on one's PC has a "firewall" feature. Under "intrusion and browser protection" there's "URLs to exclude from app monitoring"
with a line "configure". that brings up an editable list of URLs that supposedly will be ignored. I've tried to add "forum.vcfed.org" but I have not had success. Possibly this is an incorrect method. I've not tried to contact the Norton Web site to submit any disputes.

And this may not be the correct forum to raise this issue. Possibly the forums management has a response but they may not be monitoring this forum by its definition of "off topic". I did not see (offhand) a forum for "VCFed forums management", when this Norton issue occured (again) to me today. Search of all forums for "Norton" found this thread.

regards Herb Johnson

Weird, I use Norton 360 as well and have had zero issues with vcfed! As far as I know I have no special configuration in Norton....

I don't use Norton, but I have never received such a notice.

I have noticed that over the last week or two, there will be somewhat brief periods of time when the site is unreachable. Such was the case an hour ago or so. I remember doing a traceroute at some time and saw some 50% packet loss somewhere - then forgot all about it,

Any one else notice this happening recently?

Light weight AV that keeps most malware from being downloaded makes sense to me. The heavy duty material like Norton or NIST recommendations seem more focused on security by preventing the use of the computer.

I basically stay off the net with my vintage stuff including XP. I do however maintain backups. Also, I don't use any virus programs other than MS Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes on my W7 and W11 gamers, however MS no longer supports Defender for W7. My boxen have been like this for a long time and have found those virus protection packages to be more trouble than they are worth. P.S. Not up to arguing the issue as it's like I stated; I have backups.

MS no longer supports Defender for W7

Are you sure? I just turned on a Win7 computer and got the latest updates, just 4 hours old. And I still get a monthly update of their malware scanner.

Seems to have been sorted out. I reported it as safe and its finally working.

Only use it in minimal mode and it comes free with my BB contract :)

MS no longer supports Defender for W7

Are you sure? I just turned on a Win7 computer and got the latest updates, just 4 hours old. And I still get a monthly update of their malware scanner.
Here's what I know from a published quote:

"Support for Windows 7 has ended After 10 years, security updates and technical support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, but we're here to help you take the next steps with ease".

It may be that your W7 is your daily driver on an older machine. and if you use a Ryzen based W7 system, well then, it's a different ball game. I have a thread here on the forum about all of that. By default, all updates need to be turned off as you're baraged with MS screaming at you to upgrade to at least W10. Now, I'm interested in what W7 "updates" you receive and where do you obtain them from. I'm not taking about individual apps and browser updates, but W7. I would appreciate that URL.

I recently tried to update my W7 Ryzen gamer's MS Defender and was met with "System no longer supported". So, I'm left with Malwarebytes, and they state that they will continue to support W7 as long as MS allows them to.

Microsoft has historically supported Defender on EOL'd versions of Windows, long after the EOL date. Windows XP got Defender updates until like 2019-2020, when it was EOL'd back in 2014. Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 are the same. Not sure how long Microsoft will keep pushing Defender updates because they have patched serious vulnerabilities for out of support versions of Windows several times in the past.

Microsoft has historically supported Defender on EOL'd versions of Windows, long after the EOL date. Windows XP got Defender updates until like 2019-2020, when it was EOL'd back in 2014. Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 are the same. Not sure how long Microsoft will keep pushing Defender updates because they have patched serious vulnerabilities for out of support versions of Windows several times in the past.
Well, if you have a W7 setup you can try and see what happens. I didn't have any luck, but it's nothing to lose any sleep over as Malwarebytes hangs in there. MS does support some commercial customers who have a special license for continued W7 support. The chop on Defender for W7 was just noticed about a week or so ago.

None of my Win7 machines tries to harass me about updating to Win10. I know XP had a scheduled task to annoy you, which could be deleted. Your Win7 probably has a similar thing.

To keep Win7 fully up to date, firstly you need to install the ESU patch, which gives updates from 2020 to 2023. However this only works if you were completely up to date before the shutdown. Otherwise you need to install 2 KBs.

Now, after 2023, a certain site gets more updates monthly. This is what I use, and so all my numerous Win7 machine are all security-updated to the latest possible.

I don't want to get the site owner in trouble, so I won't say the URL. But you can PM me if you like.

As for Ryzen, I don't know anything about that, or what effect it might have.

---

Talking about XP, when I started updating my XP machines several years ago I noticed that Defender was an option, unfortunately there were no updates available, and it kept wanting to be updated, so I had no option but to uninstall it.

None of my Win7 machines tries to harass me about updating to Win10. I know XP had a scheduled task to annoy you, which could be deleted. Your Win7 probably has a similar thing.

To keep Win7 fully up to date, firstly you need to install the ESU patch, which gives updates from 2020 to 2023. However this only works if you were completely up to date before the shutdown. Otherwise you need to install 2 KBs.

Now, after 2023, a certain site gets more updates monthly. This is what I use, and so all my numerous Win7 machine are all security-updated to the latest possible.

I don't want to get the site owner in trouble, so I won't say the URL. But you can PM me if you like.

As for Ryzen, I don't know anything about that, or what effect it might have.

---

Talking about XP, when I started updating my XP machines several years ago I noticed that Defender was an option, unfortunately there were no updates available, and it kept wanting to be updated, so I had no option but to uninstall it.
It looks like you are referring to circumstances which aren't available to most casual users, like me. Here's what I see from MS:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...s-faq/windows-7-extended-security-updates-faq

I was with a small group that first attempted to install W7 on a board with the Ryzen chip. Microsoft didn't like that and went out of its way to prevent it by not releasing W7 USB3 drivers. Gigabyte and Asus didn't see it that way and came up with a slipstream process. I wrote a detailed procedure of the process and it's here on the forum. One of the first things was a registry hack to clear the obnoxious MS upgrade chirp. There are no system upgrades or security patches available for W7 through normal channels that I have come across. If you know of any, the W7 gamers, like me, would like to know of such.

Back