• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Well Now I have a Kaypro

Klee

Experienced Member
Made a low bit on Ebay on a Kaypro 1 and it just came in. It's in really amazing shape. Will go through it before I try to boot it.

IMG_20230911_185447395.jpg

IMG_20230911_191252697.jpgIMG_20230911_191518936.jpg

IMG_20230911_192642320.jpgIMG_20230911_191740264.jpg

Congrats. Looks nice and clean. I have a 2x that I got pretty cheap and really like it.

Attachments

• panasonic_ju455_5_servicemanual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • panasonic_ju455_5_applicationmanual.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 1484-F_Kaypro_p25.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 4
It looks great. I almost bid on it but I am too behind in my restorations and I figured I better give what I have some love before adding another computer. It look like you got a great deal!

Those "undocumented" mainboard p/n's are just the "universal mainboard" that's only partially populated, or otherwise customized for a specific model. In this case, the mainboard is configured the same as for a 2X (no modem, RTC, or expansion/HDD port).

That brings up a question: Is it possible to populate the "universal mainboard" yourself, for example adding an RTC and have it just work with the proper CP/M version? Or would the ROM(s) have to be changed too?

In other words: Were the differences between Kaypro's with the universal mainboard only due to the level of population or was the firmware different too?

Were there other differences I'm not even thinking of?

I populated my 2X board back in 1985 (at least the RTC), but I don't think you can get all the parts anymore (at least not new). The modem is probably arguably not worthwhile. You just have to clear the holes of solder and install sockets. The ROM does not do anything particular with the missing parts, and it adapts automatically to the presence of the HDD. The "HDD interface" is actually a generic I/O expansion port (so could be used to add new hardware), and there are some modern replacements for the controller and drive available (KFreHD I think).

I'm just going to leave it pretty much stock for now and upgrade the rom to Advent TurboRom 3.4 eventually.

What does that upgrade get you?
"
TurboROM Overview

1.1. Introduction

The TurboROM is a replacement EPROM for use in all Kaypro
computers that use the CP/M operating system. A complete set of
software utilities and this manual are included with the
TurboROM. The TurboROM provides the following major benefits to
your Kaypro:

1. Disk Speed Improvements:
2X to 4X speed improvements on all disk writes (both hard
and floppy disk drives). Optional disk formats are
supported that provide significant improvements in
disk read, disk write, random file access, and additional
directory entries.

2. Kaypro 10 CP/M System Size and Hard Disk Capacity:
CP/M size increase from the standard 60K to over 63K.
Formatted hard disk capacity increase from 9 megabytes to
over 11 megabytes, depending on the format used to
reformat the drive.

3. New Features:
. Type-ahead keyboard buffer
. Built-in screen-dump
. Cursor configuration (e.g. block, line, flashing,
nonflashing)
. Video screen blanking after approximately 10 minutes of
nonuse (screen saver).
. On-screen time display on '84 machines with clocks
(Kaypro and most of the add-on clocks supported.)
. Auto detection of several floppy disk formats
(including Micro Cornucopia 96TPI).
. Support for nearly all CP/M diskette formats (requires
Plu*Perfect Systems MULTICOPY program).
. Time and date stamping of files (requires Plu*Perfect
Systems K6-B DateStamper, does not require Plu*Perfect
Systems CP/M Enhancements).

4. Hardware Extensions:
. Hard disk upgrades for all Kaypros (up to 112Mb
supported).
. Support for up to four floppy disk drives and 96 TPI
drives
. Support for Advent RAM Disk
. Support for built-in and add on clocks"

Do you need a different boot floppy to use it? It really does not seem to offer much for my 2x. I'd love to have a HD, but nothing is there for that.

I haven't dived into it yet but I do know you use different utilities than the original CP/M so I pretty sure you need to make new disks that are for the rom.

I just started working on the Kaypro tonight, took out the power supply and floppy drives. The power supply has a 8506 date code and seems to be in excellent shape and will test after I replace the Rifa caps.
IMG_20231004_194933330.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the replacement caps for the three Rifa caps. They look really good with just a few tiny cracks but I will replace them anyway.

The floppy drives are a pair of Panasonic 360k drives and in excellent shape so I only blew the drives out with a can of air and the lubed the rails with a tiny bit of lube.

The floppy drives have dates of 02june86 and 13may86.

IMG_20231004_211556151.jpg

Received my replacement capacitors today and swapped them out.
Powered right up with no magic smoke!

IMG_20231011_191623692.jpg

Booted right up with the first boot disk I made, the floppy drives work perfectly and are pretty quiet.

IMG_20231011_195251110.jpg

SO much easier to get running than the Osborne's.

It's like new, i'm not even kidding.

I did zero exterior cleaning other than wiping it down with a cloth.

My 2x arrived in decent shape too. Having a HD would be nice. But the Gotek sure helps.

Yep, a hard drive would be nice.
I am debating on a Gotek, but I have everything needed to actually make disks.

Win 98 with three floppy drives, a few other pc's with 5.25 floppy drives and a Greaseweazle and plenty of disks.

Back