• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What am I doing here?

cybersextant

Latitude 40° 49.9' North, Longitude 73° 42.2' West
Old computers? Come on! You just pull out your credit card and log on to Dell's website and order something with a processor speed measured in GHz, a 120-gig hard drive, and at least 512 Megs of RAM, right? Well, yeah, I've done that, too, but I've also spent a fair amount of time doing curbside recycling: grabbing hardware I see by the side of the road and refurbishing it. Most of my finds lately are of too recent vintage even to be of interest here (it's surprising what people throw away), but I have an original IBM PC, several ATs, and quite a few early PS-2s in my basement, all of which were removed from the dumpsters at the World Trade Center when I worked there as a paramedic in the late 1980s and early 1990s. What led me to this site was that I had recently found this eTower 400ix that I loaded Windows 98 on and had an urge to pop a 5.25-inch floppy drive into, especially given that I recently had a need to access some data on old 5.25-inch floppies. I had a NEC 1.2-Meg drive sitting in a drawer, but despite lots of trial and error with the jumpers, and even a Google search that yielded some recommendations, I was unable to get the thing running properly. Windows 98 recognized it and the motor ran, but it kept yielding a drive not ready message. So I pulled a 5.25-inch drive from one of the ATs in the basement. Since I already had SETUP on the machine designating B: as a 1.2-Meg 5.25-inch floppy, I needed to know whether to change that to 360K for the baby I'd pulled out of the AT. Using Google I found this site and its excellent histories of various early machines, and quckly learned that the 1.2-Meg 5.25-inch floppy was actually introduced on the AT in 1984. To make a long story short, it was essentially plug-and-play when I pulled out the NEC drive and inserted the IBM. I didn't even look for any jumper switches. So a 20-year-old piece of "obsolete" hardware is now once again functioning productively. (I hope I haven't offended any purists by cannibalizing one of my old ATs!)

I'm certainly not offended! It's always nice to see older hardware put to use. It sure beats rusting in place, right?

Welcome to the VC Forums!

Enjoy!

Erik

Hmm.. cyber-sextant or cybersex-tant? "Tant" in Swedish is a children's word for old woman or aunt.. go figure how I associated this username. :)

I wished I had rescued a 5.25" HD floppy when we had a cleanout at the Student Union a few years ago, considering I still have PC hardware where it would work and a few disks too. However, the data is far from being crucial (I think I even have the contents on a HD or CD somewhere) so I would not go flea market bargaining for a drive.

I'm certainly not offended! It's always nice to see older hardware put to use. It sure beats rusting in place, right?

Welcome to the VC Forums!
Thanks, Erik.

Hmm.. cyber-sextant or cybersex-tant? "Tant" in Swedish is a children's word for old woman or aunt.. go figure how I associated this username.
Yes, I can figure. The idea I had in mind was cyber-sextant, but of course the play on English words was intended. I had no idea about the Swedish-language connotations. Thanks for the info.

I wished I had rescued a 5.25" HD floppy when we had a cleanout at the Student Union a few years ago, considering I still have PC hardware where it would work and a few disks too.

At least you have a ready supply of drives. I used to have one but attrition has whittled them down appreciably.
If either of you would like a NEC FD1157C (the one I couldn't get running) for the cost of shipping, let me know and it's yours. Interestingly, when I was Googling around for jumper settings I found this French site that features a photo of one as a museum-type image:

http://musee.pieces.divers.free.fr/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=1

Back