• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are some serial devices that one could play around with on a modern PC?

dosbox

What are some serial devices that one could play around with on a modern PC? I don't know why, but I've been obsessed lately with the good old serial port. I don't have any vintage computers, but I have an old retro lga775 p4 system sitting around that I'll slap XP onto later. I really don't mind whether it has a DB9 or DB25 connector, as long as it's serial.

I was thinking about an optical serial mouse I found on ebay but it requires you to use the mouse pad it came with, so I didn't buy it.

I've got a Truedox trackball with manual and software if you're interested in it.

51a8_5_big.jpg

Go into the system and check the IRQ ports already set up. There could already be a mouse, game controller, etc. ready for you to connect to. THere is most certainly a serial connector on the mobo even if you don't have an external port. You just need an adapter. Have fun!
b

I installed a serial port card in my POWER6 server so I could connect a GSM terminal to it (yes, the server can now check and respond to text messages, and yes, a simple PAYG T-Mobile SIM suffices).

GSM terminal ... that's a neat idea! Along the same lines I've thought about using a GPS receiver so that I can set the time on my machine via the GPS signal.

This is my favorite, but so far least used piece of serial port tech:

LPFK_small.jpg

It's known as the IBM LPFK - Lighted Program Function Keys, used as part of an old CAD workstation. You can turn each light on and off through command sent through the serial port, as well as read the button presses.

Go into the system and check the IRQ ports already set up. There could already be a mouse, game controller, etc. ready for you to connect to. THere is most certainly a serial connector on the mobo even if you don't have an external port. You just need an adapter. Have fun!
b

I don't have any hardware that plugs into a serial port, so I don't get what you mean. My p4 motherboard does have an actual serial port though, but I would need an adapter for my "Haswell" Pentium G system.

I installed a serial port card in my POWER6 server so I could connect a GSM terminal to it (yes, the server can now check and respond to text messages, and yes, a simple PAYG T-Mobile SIM suffices).

Can you recommend any good GSM terminals?

Last edited:
If you do MCU development, serial I/O (be it at EIA levels or 5v/3.3v ones) is still the easiest way to interface to a setup that you're trying to get going. Most MCUs have UARTs as standard peripherals--and getting one of those going is a heckuva lot easier than debugging a USB stack.

I'm not following. What's the difference between MIDI and 20 ma EIA current-loop, other than the oddball bit rate?

ISTR that back in the day, IBM Async cards were quite the thing for PC (5150/5160) MIDI--jumper for CL and change the crystal and Bob's your uncle.

I had a WWV receiver that output to an RS232 port. Never did get around to trying to hook it up, though.

I'm not following. What's the difference between MIDI and 20 ma EIA current-loop, other than the oddball bit rate?

ISTR that back in the day, IBM Async cards were quite the thing for PC (5150/5160) MIDI--jumper for CL and change the crystal and Bob's your uncle.

Seen anything newer that that, that could do MIDI without a joystick adapter or lousy USB adaptor?

What are some serial devices that one could play around with on a modern PC? I don't know why, but I've been obsessed lately with the good old serial port. I don't have any vintage computers, but I have an old retro lga775 p4 system sitting around that I'll slap XP onto later. I really don't mind whether it has a DB9 or DB25 connector, as long as it's serial.

I was thinking about an optical serial mouse I found on ebay but it requires you to use the mouse pad it came with, so I didn't buy it.

Well you can get serial mice that will work, old serial printers, some plotters have serial ports, my Ham Radio TcVr a TS2000 (still made) has a serial port. The Velleman Pic Chip board needs a serial port.

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-k8048-pic-programmer-experimenter-board-kit

if you are really into retro and have a HAM licence then there is still some packet on and you can get old style TNC boards rather then just using the Audio port on the PC.

My Paper Tape reader and punch are all serial.

Of course you can use it the other way. I also use the serial port on my PC to connect to my MicroVAX....

Seen anything newer that that, that could do MIDI without a joystick adapter or lousy USB adaptor?

There are (probably) CL EIA serial cards made for industrial instrumentation and the CNC world, but USB and Joystick adapters are a dime a dozen. Given the nature of OS-es today, I suspect the best solution might, in fact, be a dedicated MCU running the show (no stolen cycles).

Can you recommend any good GSM terminals?

Well you can get serial mice that will work, old serial printers, some plotters have serial ports, my Ham Radio TcVr a TS2000 (still made) has a serial port. The Velleman Pic Chip board needs a serial port.

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-k8048-pic-programmer-experimenter-board-kit

if you are really into retro and have a HAM licence then there is still some packet on and you can get old style TNC boards rather then just using the Audio port on the PC.

My Paper Tape reader and punch are all serial.

Of course you can use it the other way. I also use the serial port on my PC to connect to my MicroVAX....

The problem I have is with old mice is that they have that stupid ball in it. Once I switched to an optical mouse, I could never go back to using the old mice. I don't have any space for old printers and stuff.

As for using a serial port to connect computers together, I thought about that but I don't have the desk space for two computers.

If you have a POTS phone line, you could set up a fax server in your PC with an external modem.

Back