• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What available OS can read IRIX CDs?

shawn510

Experienced Member
I am trying to load a set of IRIX cds on a spare system to get a network install going to a SGI workstation. I have heard that there are linux drivers for the EFS filesystem in existance, but they don't seem to be included on modern distros.

I've tried NetBSD and the current Ubuntu so far and neither will mount the disc.

Does anoyne know of a specific version of x86 linux or BSD that can read EFS discs?

Thanks!

I guess you've read through the first page or so of results on google? ;-) (seeing a scattering of netbsd and ubuntu comments). Do you know that you have the packages/modules installed to read efs? Like others said, did you try just doing standard cd9660?

I haven't tried cd9660, I'll try that. If that doesn't work, maybe my next setup should be adding in that module. It's been a really long time since I compiled a kernel. Should be interesting.

Yeah, unfortunately it's been a while for me too with modifying a bsd kernel so I'm not up on the syntax but I do remember it's not very painful in freebsd so maybe netbsd is nice about it too. Otherwise if you can compile the module you can just load it temporarily with insmod and maybe mount will be able to try again.

I think I'll try it in Ubuntu first, since that is what is on there now. Even though the boot is weird. It fails to busybox but continues after I enter the exit command.

Last time I tried, Ubuntu could not read EFS filesystems at all. The best you can really do is use something like ddrescue to make raw imge dumps of the discs. Ubuntu supports XFS which is SGI's other filesystem.

Last time I tried, Ubuntu could not read EFS filesystems at all. The best you can really do is use something like ddrescue to make raw imge dumps of the discs. Ubuntu supports XFS which is SGI's other filesystem.

That would be no good (I think) since I need to be able to serve the files over tftp or NFS in order to do a network install.
I have half a mind to try out the MIPS ports of BSD or gentoo since I'm having to do a reinstall anyway. Supposedly (according to the google) they have decent support for the Octane now.

Have you never heard of DINA?

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16718687

It's pretty much a self-contained irix netboot appliance that runs in VMware. I used it last year to start a Personal IRIS whose volume header got nuked. Just ddrescue a disc, save it as an iso, upload it to DIAN using FTP, mount, and place in the appropriate folder and off you go.

I have DINA running and I uploaded the ddrescue images to it. But I cannot get them to mount. I just get an "mount_efs not found" error. Has anyone made copies of the IRIX cds in a non-crazy format?

Ok, it looks like when you specify filesystem X bsd mount looks for a mount_X executable in /sbin, and there is no mount_efs in sbin on this install. Maybe I can find the file and add it to enable EFS.

Back