• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What computer would you have and WHY?

Vint

Experienced Member
I'd like to read the 'reasons why' some guys want a certain vintage computer.
It's not the computer, but the REASONS - that are fun to read about.

"I would really like to have, (insert computer name), because" . . .

In my particular case, there are a couple machines:

Commodore Colt:
I first saw the Colt in a display case at Toys R Us, back in the 80's. We were there to buy console carts for my son, but I was really admiring that Commodore Colt and it 'still' sticks in my mind as a very desirable computer for the simple reason I couldn't afford it back then, and when you want something and can't have it, it sticks in your memory (for life, seems.)

TRS-80 Model 1:
Now this one I did have and it was my introduction to computers. I'd like to have one again, but with the disk drive (I never could afford), along with the necessary expansion interface.

Lastly, I'd like to have a 'full' IBM PC Jr. setup.

Just because, to me, it reaks "Classic". I won one a couple years back in an auction, but since I got it for 'too good' a price, the seller backed out of the deal with a lame excuse. I've been unwilling to put up the necessary funds to actually buy another. Torn between desire and costs is a fine line to walk. Until the justification finally wins the battle, you're left with desire only. I haven't reached the justifications stage quite yet :)

What are your desired machine, and especially - WHY?

A Sinclair QL.
It was the first computer I bought on my own.
I wrote a neat little program to display 3-D bezier surfaces on it.
Didn't really have much in the way of games, but I liked it.
I've tried getting on on eBay a couple of times, and somehow they never seem to actually arrive...
patscc

An IMSAI 8080 for kudos of being in Wargames and being a really cool computer thats damn hard to get hold of at a decent price.

Alternatively a KIM-1 for the sheer simplicity. I played with an emulator of it with a 6502 programming back and really got to grips with it and actually understood how it works.

Tandy 1000 TL/2:
This was the first computer that my Dad got me when I was a kid.

IBM 5160:
This computer is the computer I wanted in the mid-80s. I remember my cousin getting one either for Christmas or his birthday and I was very jealous that I didn’t have a computer. A few years later my Dad got me the Tandy 1000 TL/2.

Apple IIe:
I had this computer at my Mom’s house, I remember playing games on it and such. I was probably five years old loading games and playing them on it.

My primary focus at the moment is on Acorn RiscPCs(600s up) because it was something I always wanted to have but never got for one reason or other. Also they were not the early to mid 90s(my area of interest) norm in my neck of the woods nor are they discussed here much.

With the benefit of hindsight they were ahead of the standard fair technology wise compared to my 486s and tend to hold their value compared to PCs or Macs of the same era. Ok they cost a bit more to aquire but they make beige cool.

Last edited:
I would really like to have, TRS-80 model 1 with the original RCA B&W modified for Radio Shack monitor, and cassette tape recorder, because it was the very first computer I had ever worked with.. I want this particular setup too because that is what started me on my way to being the true geek I am today. I was working at Radio Shack when it was intruduced, and it was because of this machine alone that I changed my major in college. The TRS-80 was also the very first computer I ever wrote programs on for which I was paid. There is a great story about one of my first jobs, but I'll leave that for another day. . . . And the IBM 5150! Well, that was the first "Micro-Computer/Personal computer that I had used in college when the computer science department exchanged all of the terminals we had which were tied to the UNR mainframe. When they finally got the last of those huge terminals out, the first of the IBM PCs were just being wheeled in. I was hooked the moment I set eyes upon it, and wanted to own one ever since.

My favorite computer is my 5150 PC which is outlined pretty much everwhere in the forums; from its purchase, to initial repairs, and eventual upgrades, including the 5161 ecpanson unit and associated upgrades. The rest of my collection all revolve around my early days with computers, and all of them had their firsts. Like the Tandy Coco. It was the very first computer I ever owned. Then comes the Compaq Portable model 1. It was the first computer I had access to as my first full time job in programming. Then comes the Commodore 64 (Which I am in the process of making a deal for) because it was the first one I actually bought new, strictly for "taking my work home". I ended up playing games on the thing. The last vintage computer on my list, is an Apple lle because it was the first of the vintage computers I had gotten. (I still can't believe its only been a couple of years!) Without the Apple, I doubt very seriously I would have ever found this group, and I would never have been able to not only locate, but assemble a complete IBM 5161 expansion unit.

My interests in particular computers is pretty varried. Before 1976, I thought all computers took up enough space to fill entire city blocks. Then the home computer revolution began to take hold. Most of the machines that were introduced at the time were so expensive that only those with 6 figure incomes or excellent credit could affors them. These systems in my list changed all that and allowed the average family to buy and operate their own home computer.

I'd like to read the 'reasons why' some guys want a certain vintage computer.
It's not the computer, but the REASONS - that are fun to read about.

"I would really like to have, (insert computer name), because" . . .

In my particular case, there are a couple machines:

Commodore Colt:
I first saw the Colt in a display case at Toys R Us, back in the 80's. We were there to buy console carts for my son, but I was really admiring that Commodore Colt and it 'still' sticks in my mind as a very desirable computer for the simple reason I couldn't afford it back then, and when you want something and can't have it, it sticks in your memory (for life, seems.)

TRS-80 Model 1:
Now this one I did have and it was my introduction to computers. I'd like to have one again, but with the disk drive (I never could afford), along with the necessary expansion interface.

Lastly, I'd like to have a 'full' IBM PC Jr. setup.

Just because, to me, it reaks "Classic". I won one a couple years back in an auction, but since I got it for 'too good' a price, the seller backed out of the deal with a lame excuse. I've been unwilling to put up the necessary funds to actually buy another. Torn between desire and costs is a fine line to walk. Until the justification finally wins the battle, you're left with desire only. I haven't reached the justifications stage quite yet :)

What are your desired machine, and especially - WHY?

Last edited:
I'd love to have a minicomputer setup with a proper front panel, and tape punch/reader. Unfortunately, I've neither the space nor the cash for such a thing...

Might be a good open source project for a new front panel/flip switch operated 8-bit computer. Probably a few out there already. The obvious I can think about is the Altair 8800 Mini from Vince. Actually it's cheaper than I recall (built for $299). Not sure if there's a tape reader for it but I've seen serial ones that were newish not to long ago I think for multiple devices.

Good topic. I've now got most of the computers I want. There are "reasons for collecting" attached to each of those but for this post I'll stick to the ones I'm still looking for.

Compucolour II. An early example of a microcomputer which could display colour (yes, I know the Apple II could also). Also, I remember seeing one of these beasts in a Uni lab I visited once. It's an example of an integrated system where drives, monitor and motherboard were all in one case. I love those. They are so "vintage". Also a very colourful keyboard.

Jupiter Ace. A home microcomputer with FORTH built-in rather than the standard BASIC

Macintosh 128k. The first Macintosh. Need I elaborate? How classic can you get!

Epson QX-10. Example of a Japanese 8-bit CP/M machine. There were a few of these types of machines coming out of Japan, just as the PC-DOS/IBM juggernaught was gearing up.

Tez

Mine is a TRS-80 Model III. I had a Model I when I was a kid, but after seeing pictures of a Model III, it was like the ultimate computer to have. Having the floppies built right next to the monitor just makes it look cool, and the fact that it's highly compatible with the Model I software just makes it a must-have. As a side note, I briefly had a Model 4p about 15 years ago, but I didn't have a boot disk for it and the internet was still too young to find such items. I didn't have the room at the time for something so useless, so I placed it in the garbage :(

Tezza, I've had my eyes on the compucolor II which apparently uses 8-track tapes for data storage. Totally bizarre.

The Jupiter Ace was another one that intrigued me, but I'm not about to learn Forth just to use the damned thing.

The Jupiter Ace was another one that intrigued me, but I'm not about to learn Forth just to use the damned thing.
It's a bit of a mind-bender alright, but once you grasp the basic concepts it's actually kinda cool. Not sure it's something I'd want to use on a regular basis, but it's nifty to play around with.

Of course, it's mostly academic considering you can hardly even find the things...

The computer I have ALWAYS admired strictly for it's "coolness" design is the Cray 1.

Of course, I have absolutely no need for such a beast nor do I have the capability to keep the coolant at the proper temperature, but the thing is just SO COOL looking!

And, then of course, there's the cost...

What i really miss in my collection are a these:

- Apple I
- Apple Lisa
- Commodore Amiga 1000

maybe the Amiga would get its way into my home one day, but the Apples are too expensive now.

Jose

Back