• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do I call this cable so I can search for it and where would be a good place to purchase it?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I am trying to make a few cables. I need to find where I can purchase cabling with 20 wires (conductors) in it. I need about 10 feet. When I search I can find audio cable with 9 conductors. Thats the most I can find. When I type in 20 I keeping getting results for 20 AWG gauge wire.

How should I word it and where can I find the cable? Trying to find something affordable.

hornbetw

Experienced Member
What gauge and type of cable do you need? (i.e. 20 AWG, 20 conductor, twisted pair, ribbon, etc.)? I have some serial and printer cables that I removed from an old business my sister bought. There should be some 25 wire cables in the mix.

Plasma

Veteran Member
Cheapest option may be a DB25 extension cable (all pins wired through) like this. Then chop the ends off and use it for whatever.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Cheapest option may be a DB25 extension cable (all pins wired through) like this. Then chop the ends off and use it for whatever.
Thas not cheap. I have done that in the past from my own stock but I dont want to use up what I have left.

As far as what gauge. It doesnt have to be much around 20 gauge per wire is fine. I could go less slightly. Just data signals/ttl so it doesnt have to be heavy gauge.

@hornbetw Philly isnt to far from me. what have you got?
I believe you are looking for a 20 core cable, try that search term. I found this: https://in.element14.com/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/multicore-cable?no-of-cores=20core
Thanks that will definitely help with the search.

Last edited:

Plasma

Veteran Member
Thas not cheap. I have done that in the past from my own stock but I dont want to use up what I have left.
It's far cheaper than anything you will find on digikey/mouser/element14, especially if you only need 10ft.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Got any old parallel printer cables? You might find one with a sufficient number of lines. I've got a large box of parallel cables that I no longer use.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Chuck Like I mentioned, I did that in the past for cables I needed and am down to only a few and I want to keep them intact.

Sell me some cables. I still need that mouse ball from you and I would be willing to trade at least part of the payment or shipping for that 8085 card we talked about in another thread.