• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you guys think of modern computer cases?

Oh, there are plenty of all-in-one PCs out there. The problem is that I wish the PC would be in the keyboard (or better, just a lump in the power cord) and not in the screen!

(Shades of the C64!).

Vic-20, or TRS-80, I think you mean.

Anyway, how about in the monitor? And I don't mean the Moniputor; there are plenty of modern LCD based systems which the whole system is built onto the back of the LCD. Some even include the keyboard; but those are pretty lousy. Also, I'm not referring to laptop/tablet/etc, but rather industrial designs.

Whatever--the problem is that if you don't like the CPU or the monitor, the whole thing hits the trash bin.

There's one such called the Telikin that's flogged endless in the wee-hour informercial TV time. It runs Linux, though they don't say that.

Vic-20, or TRS-80, I think you mean.

Anyway, how about in the monitor? And I don't mean the Moniputor; there are plenty of modern LCD based systems which the whole system is built onto the back of the LCD. Some even include the keyboard; but those are pretty lousy. Also, I'm not referring to laptop/tablet/etc, but rather industrial designs.

I have several Viewsonic VOT132's (older Atom based "Nettop") that are bolted to the back of old Acer 19" LCD's. I use them for Internet Cafe computers at my store. Very unobtrusive, and with Xubuntu 16.04, actually decently capable still. Just a Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard are seen by the customer.

My personal "daily driver" PC is in a Thermaltake Full Tower case. Cheap stamped steel. Lots of room. Endless options for everything.

I really do like the Skeleton cases, or clear Acrylic cases for the "Look at my parts" factor though.

There was a flurry of computers in the form of HDMI sticks. Slap it into the back of the TV; add a wireless keyboard and mouse and have a minimal footprint without all the problems upgrading.

Back