• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you guys use for reliable benchmarks for modernish CPU's?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Userbench should be taken with a grain of salt, their benchmark suite is very basic and has a ton of variability since they don't enforce any testing consistency.

For all we know, the specific test they used for the compare could have been run on a heavily loaded machine and not been able to perform at its best. Or the test could have been run on a motherboard that was abusing the turbo expiry and letting the CPU run in turbo indefinitely.

Both CPUs are from the Haswell generation and should perform virtually identically on a clock for clock basis. The E5-2667v3 should be the faster part because it has both a higher base clock (3.2 vs 3.0 GHz) and a higher boost clock (3.6 vs 3.5 GHz.)

Passmark has a more believable benchmark score, 29% faster from Userbenchmark is nonsense. That sounds like Intel cutting off the bottom of a bar chart and zooming in 1000x to make a 1% difference look like something orders of magnitude different.

Since I run Linux I use the old Byte benchmarks as a baseline. To get meaningful increases that can actually be felt at the UI the speed needs to be at least double. That's why I've used a rule of three in upgrading for several years; the machine has to be at least three times faster for me to pay the price to upgrade. So I went from a Core 2 Duo (Precision M4300) to an i7-740M (Precision M6500), then to an i7-3740M (Precision M6700), and now an i7-9750H (Precision 7740). The biggest jumps have been going from the fast HGST 7200 RPM spinning drives in the M4300 to mSATA SSD and then to NVMe in the 7740.

I was given a System76 LemurPro (10), which has an i7-1165G7. This 11th-gen i7 is slower on many tasks than the 9th-gen (like compiling SDRangel and then running SDRangel; on the 7740 this takes 15 minutes, on the LemurPro it takes 23), but that's mostly due to the larger number of cores in the i7-9750H. A cheap i3 or lower end i5 of the latest generation will not be any faster than the i7-9750H; in fact, it will very likely be significantly slower. I wouldn't have paid for the LemurPro based solely on my rule of three, but I will definitely accept the gift of it.

The Precision 7740 is a beast; it's going to be quite a while before systems that are three times faster come down in price enough to make it worthwhile. EDIT: all these systems were bought used; the 7740 is a 2019 model and I purchased in 2021 for less than one-fifth MSRP; it had been a corporate lease unit, rotated out after two years.

Last edited:
Back