• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Happened to Nekochan.net????

Anybody know what happened to the Nekochan site?
Haven't been able to get the site to load up since last Thursday or Friday.

Everything is OK with the domain registration, but it looks like all their eggs are in the same basket.. both DNS servers are the same IP, I suspect everything is on one server and that one is currently offline. Probably for some technical reasons. Hopefully nobody drowned the kitten..

-Tor

It's been down for the last week and then yesterday it started going up and down in bursts. Last I heard the site still ran off an Altix 350. He might of upgraded to an Atom based machine more recently however as I recall at one point we had a "hardware upgrade". Either the machine is booting, crashing and ASR reboots it over and over or there's a piece of networking equipment that is cycling and nobody has noticed it yet. It's also possible he's on vacation somewhere and he can't fix it because he's a plane trip away.

OR potentially his internet connection is flaking out really badly. Last I recall the server is running in a suburban home in the SF bay area.

Nekochan still has an active development scene. It does not cost him too much per month to operate the site so I doubt this is actually the end of an era.

Thanks for explaining the situation, I've been wondering about Nekochan.net being unavailable for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks for the info!

Hope Nekochan is working again, it is essential for the SGI community.

I've been meaning to contact a couple of folks who sent me their addresses via PM. Haven't been1 able to log in for more than a week now and there's no other way to get the contact info. Looks like the site won't be up before some time in Jan.

nekochandown.jpg

Things like that make me glad that I have a T1 with an SLA, even considering its exorbitant costs.

Chris (vishnu) was contacting a few people, but I haven't heard from anyone else recently. I'm having hamei withdrawal.

Hi Everyone - There is a problem with Nekochan.net's DSL circuit, and the service provider hasn't been able to resolve the issue yet. It looks like the next attempt will be January 2nd. Updates are being posted to twitter at https://twitter.com/neko_no_ko .

Keep your fingers crossed!

-josehill (one of the Nekochan moderators)

Thanks for the official update! :) Makes it much easier to spread the truth rather than rumors.

From those twitter posts, sounds like a nasty case of "self hosting" biting them in the backside. There's a reason it's usually NOT a great battle-plan... especially when a decent VPS runs less than ten bucks a month.

Particularly if you're on cable or DSL -- the upstream and ping times are usually a pathetic joke.

Back