• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What happened to WinWorld?

Yes, I am/was the library director, the one who processed contributions and added files. Although I am a bit of a database guy, I am unfortunately not much of a server guy or web guy.

Supposedly Duff (the original founder of Winword) has a full backup of everything, and I have table dumps of the product/release descriptions. The problem is finding a new database to put it all IN.

Would it be possible for anyone to get these at some stage? Or is it wanted to be kept in house?
I'm just asking because I am a web/db guy (since 99), can rent/provision a server at my cost etc, but like to keep side stuff as hobby projects (in the spare time I have, I don't want it feeling like work :) ).

I have a winworld dump from a while ago but not sure how complete it is, and no data.

yes, but it's just one thing they don't yet have.
That's still a dealbreaker. I understand that they want to limit the number of drive-by downloads, but trying to get into betaarchives is like going to the library and being told you have to travel to Mordor and bring back the head of a Nazgul to apply for a card.

That's still a dealbreaker. I understand that they want to limit the number of drive-by downloads, but trying to get into betaarchives is like going to the library and being told you have to travel to Mordor and bring back the head of a Nazgul to apply for a card.

i just found a copy of microsoft office word 97 professional sr-1 in english, asked them, they dont have it yet.

Not hard for me.

FFS, all you have to do is derp around eBay, find some $0.99 sale of some old random budget CD, buy it, dump the contents, scan it, and upload it. It's not that hard.

"Welcome to the site that purports to be your source for rare software! Please provide some rare software in order to actually be able to get any rare software."

It has a you need to give to take, you can't just always take. The world doesn't work like that, unless you are used to being a freeloader.

I am a curator of a large project, and we don't have these requirements. You do the right thing because you believe in it, not because you are trying to force the entire world to be fair and contribute to your project. If I didn't want people leeching the fruit of my work, I wouldn't make it available.

I am a curator of a large project, and we don't have these requirements. You do the right thing because you believe in it, not because you are trying to force the entire world to be fair and contribute to your project. If I didn't want people leeching the fruit of my work, I wouldn't make it available.

Can you tell me what project that is?

I also don't want to discuss about problem of WinworldPC.com.

I can't understand why this topic is discussed on here.

Here is VCF, not WinWorldPC.

Also this thread is for discussing "General Vintage Computer Discussions" not for problem with another site.

Closing access to the site because the actions of one member is a unusual.

It's a bummer that it's down. Lets hope its not down for long. It was quite useful at times. I've got all the software I need for my systems. Yeah I went out and bought it over a period of time. That, to me, is part n parcel with my hobby of collecting older systems.

For FWIW most software is on other places on the 'net if you look hard enough. Plenty of Torrent Sites out there. Some members have useful ftp sites.

Last edited:
Pro tips ...

• Moderators do not read every post as quickly as they are posted. If you need a moderator to take action on a post, use the triangle icon with the exlamation point inside of it.
  • Copyrights are still enforced. You pirate software (even "abandonware") at your own risk. We do not want this site (VCFed Forum) to be an accessory to that behavior.

A lot of Winwordpc content was actually gotten from Betaarchives.
Some of the more common stuff, yes. But Winworld was evolving in to more of a museum hosting a number of less common titles. This included some items that current BA will not touch due to lack of scans - which is ironic as much of BA's older application content is extremely crufty and often corrupt or incomplete. Unfortunately almost nobody there looks at that sort of older stuff because it doesn't have the words "Microsoft" and "Beta" in it.

This is last status of WW's forum. (Sep.6. 2017)

iFtqVXC.png

If anyone has any HELPFUL ideas or discussion for recovering, I would love to hear them.

I only learned today that WinWorld was down. I'm disappointed that it is, of course, but have no need to learn why. If, however, there are plans to reconstitute the site let me offer any support I can. First and foremost I have a lot of software, which I have been collecting since 1982, any and all of which you are welcome to access. I don't know that I can personally host a mirror but I will begin investigating local universities who might be willing to serve. If there are financial needs I may be able to help with that as well.

Please let me know what I can do to help.

-CH-

Just wanted to say that I run a fairly large FTP site with significant transit resources and would be happy to mirror this data if anybody has it available.

Let me know.

Those wishing to help out might want to hop on the #winboards IRC channel on irc.r-type.ca.

Not sure what the exact status is, but Duff was trying to get a new server set up, and Calvin (Ampharos) has a simplified read-only implementation of the library database about ready to deploy. Anything forum-related, I guess, will come much later.

Back