• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What HDD are supported on the Seagate st11r card?

aaron7

Experienced Member
Picked up a clone that lost its HDD along the way.

Has a Seagate st11r card inside.

What drives that are somewhat findable would work with this?

Thanks guys!

!BYZCsSw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKikEjlLmeCmkBKhQ-KdoMw~~_35.JPG

bhtooefr

Experienced Member
Looks like the ROM is older than this document discusses, but here's some documentation for that card: ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/controllers/st11m-r.txt

Do not run a MFM drive on this controller, RLL only. (If you had an ST11M, you could run either an MFM or RLL drive, albeit at reduced capacity for the RLL drive.)

Based on that doc, looks like it supports at least 1024 cylinders and 9 heads. Mind you, if you don't already have a drive, you may want to go the XTIDE route instead.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I've got an 3.5" 80MB drive that uses one of those as part of a "hardcard" assembly. Runs fine in an AT&T 6300. The discoloration near the rear mounting holes seems to say yours was used in a similar configuration.

In my experience, if you've got one, it's worth trying an MFM drive and formatting it as RLL. I did that with numerous non-RLL-labeled drives and got very good results. There should be a low-level format routine in the (P)ROM--and I believe that you're allowed to enter the basic drive parameters.

fatwizard

Veteran Member
This card does allow entry of the drive parameters, but the surface scan is not optional, and it is VERY fussy. If a drive has very many bad sectors, it's nearly impossible to successfully finish the low level format.

Stone

10k Member
In my experience, if you've got one, it's worth trying an MFM drive and formatting it as RLL. I did that with numerous non-RLL-labeled drives and got very good results.
I agree and have had similar experiences as Chuck. All the Maxtor and Seagate MFM drives that I formatted RLL performed flawlessly for all the years I used them in that configuration.

I've still got some 8-bit and 16-bit Western Digital RLL controllers, both NIB and used, if there's any interest in them.

griffk

Experienced Member
Drives for ST11r card

Drives for ST11r card

Picked up a clone that lost its HDD along the way.

Has a Seagate st11r card inside.

What drives that are somewhat findable would work with this?

Thanks guys!

!BYZCsSw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKikEjlLmeCmkBKhQ-KdoMw~~_35.JPG

Seems to me I used this card way back with a Miniscribe 8438 with some luck...