• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is your daily driver?

kantexplain

Banned
No I don't mean car. What computing appurtenance do you use most to do whatever you do. Don't care about phones or tablets.

Last edited:
For vintage at the moment a 386DX2/66 with 8megs of ram running Red Hat Linux 6.0 Which is the thing most of us prefer to discuss here at vcfeg.org. fuck the new stuff....

I use a Macbook Air and close in 2nd a Linux box using an AMD Ryzen 9 3600x.

A Toshiba laptop that's been running almost non stop for the last 14 years.
Display is showing its age, fan gets very noisy at times and the hard drive makes some weird noises a few times a week.

I stopped off at Micro Center last month and picked up a new Gateway gaming laptop to replace the old Toshiba. Really like it, but still haven't moved completely away from the Toshiba yet (typing on it now). Desktop systems are easy replace, but a new laptop seems to take a while to get used to...like breaking in a new pair of work boots.

I’ve got an old Dell Precision T5500 with dual quad-core Xeons. It’s running windows 11, but technically doesn’t support it.

I think I’m going to upgrade to something faster soon and I might look into getting a Mac mini in addition to whatever X86 I decide to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several HP Z Xeon workstations with multiple CPUs (w3000 series) running windows 7 64 bit).

No need to upgrade as it currently does everything I require. Wont install any newer version of Windows past 7 as they are F#$king garbage... So when I do upgrade its Linux from here on out.

I’ve got an old Dell Precision T5500 with dual quad-core Xeons. It’s running windows 11, but technically doesn’t support it.
I remember that series. I stopped respecting anything from Dell years before, but that series of Workstation was actually pretty nicely built.

A couple of years old desktop PC. I think it's an i7-10700 with 16 gigabytes of RAM. Previous one was a 2012-ish i5, which is now my friend's daily driver.

Contemporary: Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p. I have seven but one as a backup plus another one in the EU (nephew is using it to play with my sons). These all have a i7-4790, 32GB RAM, Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB or 11GB. My sons and father also each have a Lenovo ThinkPad W541 (32GB, K2100M, i7-4(8/9)10MQ). Each M93p also has a HP ZR30w LCD. My wife has a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 (2000M, 16GB, i7-2860QM) because the dislikes the W541 keyboard. Three M93ps are setup in my office (that I do not use for WFH) for gaming with my sons (or them with cousins/friends). My sons (two) and I each have a M93p in our bedrooms also.

Work: a Dell i5 notebook that is outperformed by the M93ps and W541s.

Vintage: Compaq DeskPro (Pentium 200) and Compaq Prolinea (466DX2).

Contemporary: Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p. I have seven but one as a backup plus another one in the EU (nephew is using it to play with my sons). These all have a i7-4790, 32GB RAM, Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB or 11GB. My sons and father also each have a Lenovo ThinkPad W541 (32GB, K2100M, i7-4(8/9)10MQ). Each M93p also has a HP ZR30w LCD. My wife has a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 (2000M, 16GB, i7-2860QM) because the dislikes the W541 keyboard. Three M93ps are setup in my office (that I do not use for WFH) for gaming with my sons (or them with cousins/friends). My sons (two) and I each have a M93p in our bedrooms also.

Work: a Dell i5 notebook that is outperformed by the M93ps and W541s.

Vintage: Compaq DeskPro (Pentium 200) and Compaq Prolinea (466DX2).
Anything else you wanna list? 🥴

I tend to avoid Dell also. I do have a Poweredge 2600 sitting in the hallway closet. Donated me by a neighbor. It's a beast.

With the Xeon preference in this thread I looked it up. It would only be a marginal improvement in our case (Xeon E3-1230 v3 versus 4790).
In your case I think you are completely right. I wouldnt call it a preference though. These are just pieces of equipment that were being retired at work and I chose to keep them going. They were the right call for what thier task was initially at work. and I know they are built incredibly well. Its not like I sought out to buy a xeon.

Work issued me an HP Zbook ( a complete misnomer as it has an i7) and it was a really powerful laptop at the time. I wasnt upset in the least it wasnt a xeon. i7 is a thumbs up to me.

Cool. My whole M93p odyssey started with an ad on OfferUp a few years ago where someone was selling one really cheap. It worked out so well (especially cheap) and turned out to be so undesirable (lots of lowball offers were accepted) on eBay that I replaced all our Lenovo ThinkPad W500/W510/W520 (except my wife's) systems with them.

Fortnite, Armored Warfare, Age of Empires 2 DE/HD, Grand Theft Auto, Hearts of Iron 4, Roblox and everything else we throw at it runs really well.

Sometimes Xeons have cool features like ECC RAM, larger cache, and more PCIe lanes, but depending on your workload that might not be too important. Mike was cheap secondhand, so that why I got it. If a build something new, it probably won’t be workstation/server class. But if I buy something used again, then I guess it just depends on what the deals are.

My main desktop is an Intel 3220 I3 I pieced together in 2013. Several changes in my life happened since then, and a new gaming rig every 2-3 years became less a priority. Still does what I ask of it.

My latest laptop is an 8th gen Intel I3. I replaced the SSD and installed Ubuntu on it. Powers up fast.

At work out of the control room, an i7 gen 12 laptop and at home an i5 gen 8 laptop both running windows (its just less stress for me)

In the control room its full on vintage. 8 Honeywell DPS6 supermini computers with 50 odd Intel Multibus 8086 & 80286 systems. Just a shame the CDC CMD and SMD disk drives have been decommissioned.

The there is the VAX system, but I have no idea what machines that runs these days but its still running VMS

Back