• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is your daily driver?

My main machine for years now is a Lenovo ThinkCentre tower with i5-4570 which was $10 from a local guy, also snagged a ThinkCentre i7-3770 at the same time for gaming. I have since put together more powerful machines for gaming but the i5 does its job still, so I keep it. I think the "newest" motherboard I have is a Z390 chipset.

Did someone say 50 Multibus systems? Did I specifically see someone say 50 multibus systems!!!

Do any boot dos ;) ? Together, as one, would they merely boot Crysis??

Did someone say 50 Multibus systems? Did I specifically see someone say 50 multibus systems!!!

Do any boot dos ;) ? Together, as one, would they merely boot Crysis??
Yep

We use them as a control and alarm/data system at my work. They run a custom OS with custom applications all designed by the CEGB which was the state owned electricity generator in the UK.

All diskless and boot from the Supermini machines.

Last edited:
At work it seems I have a Thinkpad with a i7-10850H, 64GB RAM. We used to have HP workstations with Xeons and 64GB ECC. Hoping I can snag one as they start to get rid of them...

At home I have my desktop that I threw together around 2010: Phenom ii x6, 36GB RAM. I upgraded to the x6 in 2021 from the x2 I originally bought for it. The x2 ran respectably with the 2 extra cores unlocked.
Laptop is a Thinkpad W520, i7-2820, 24GB RAM.

I have a Compaq 486 DX2 that I've been messing around with NetBSD on. Currently have 4.0.1 installed, but have never been able to get networking or X11 to work.

I snagged a Color Laserjet 5550DN last year. Beast of a printer and I enjoy it. Just dreading the day I have to replace some of the more expensive consumables.

Yep

We use them as a control and alarm/data system at my work. They run a custom OS with custom applications all designed by the CEGB which was the state owned electricity generator in the UK.

All diskless and boot from the Supermini machines.
I need photos.

Forgot my other daily driver which is a 2008 Power Mac with two 2,8 GHz Xeons and 28 gigabytes of memory. I use it for running Logic Pro X, connected to RME Firewire audio interfaces.

Unfortunately I might get shot if I published photos.

Mind you, its probably the most secure computer system there is, not only is it not connected to the outside world, almost nobody has a clue how to program it either :)
Well you dont want the Cyclons getting access to it. The fleet would destroyed Gary.

Unfortunately I might get shot if I published photos.

Mind you, its probably the most secure computer system there is, not only is it not connected to the outside world, almost nobody has a clue how to program it either :)
Well what's to say I'm such a bad shot?

Who do you hate more, me or your bosses?

I really need those photos LOL.

My wife has a i7-2920XM in her Lenovo ThinkPad W520. An i7-2860QM would be better. The extreme edition i7s 2nd generation mobile CPUs need a special fan and get way hotter. But you cannot overclock it because the Lenovo BIOS is locked.

Another W520 that I had bought at Tiger Direct open box new in 2010 lasted for almost 8 or 9 years. It had a 2720QM and I replaced that with a 2960XM. Plus the higher specification fan. Such a great machine.

Ok then. Where do I get an application.

Man they're just multibus. How secure can that be from the getgo? 8088s???

No I don't mean car. What computing appurtenance do you use most to do whatever you do. Don't care about phones or tablets.
You may not care for tablets, but my answer would be a tablet nevertheless. What I use most is:
- Apple Macbook Air M2 for office
- Apple iPad Pro M1 for about everything
- Raspberry Pi 4B for coding
- Raspberry Pi 400 for coding support

At work it seems I have a Thinkpad with a i7-10850H, 64GB RAM. We used to have HP workstations with Xeons and 64GB ECC. Hoping I can snag one as they start to get rid of them...

At home I have my desktop that I threw together around 2010: Phenom ii x6, 36GB RAM. I upgraded to the x6 in 2021 from the x2 I originally bought for it. The x2 ran respectably with the 2 extra cores unlocked.
Laptop is a Thinkpad W520, i7-2820, 24GB RAM.

I have a Compaq 486 DX2 that I've been messing around with NetBSD on. Currently have 4.0.1 installed, but have never been able to get networking or X11 to work.

I snagged a Color Laserjet 5550DN last year. Beast of a printer and I enjoy it. Just dreading the day I have to replace some of the more expensive consumables.
I take that back, I my laptop has an i7-2860QM and also the Quadro 2000M graphics. Didn't get lucky on the display. however. Just a crappy 1600x900. Anyone have a suggestion where to get a good quality 1080p display for the W520?

I spend a lot of time on my Asus A13 Gamer laptop. One of its features is that it has a 300Hz refresh. Also, a 3060 video display and a fairly decent CPU. Didn't buy it for gaming, as I dropped my old HP off the stand and smashed the screen to smithereens (don't really know where smithereens is). Also, the keyboard is illuminated. The price was right at my local MicroCenter.

I use this disgusting phone more then anything. I have several laptops but they all have dookie processors. I don't need a lot of power. What the hell am I going to do with it? I do have a dual lga 3647 serverboard, weirdo form factor, it'll take fabrication to get it mounted in something off the shelf. I may sell it once ... I suppose I could run machine learning experiments. No longer state of the art, but no slouch either. Silver and Gold Xeon Scalable chips are sooo cheap. And pretty powerful. I don't think I need any weird riser boards to mount a nice gpu, but not sure.

Building puters is fun. I like doing that more then anything. Lga 1700 components including ddr5 ram has so come down. While flipping sliced cheese is through the roof. I have ro get rid of some of the boxes I've built before I buy ANYTHING else. Prices for some stuff would be pretty nice.come the end of next month. There are good deals from time to time, but newegg's mondo seal events have been putting me to sleep. Works better then melatonin.

I try to make a point of using a lt for net access rather then the stupid phone. I do insist on booting some live linux off of a usb drive though. So the perverts at microshlock can't log what model trains I love the most. Voyeurs/perverts take your pick.

Last edited:
The FRU for the ThinkPad W520 FHD 1920X1080 panel is 04W1544. I would buy another unit and swap stuff around. That is the cheaper solution. For some reason there are very few listings online and those cost (nearly) as much as a preowned W520 that comes with this panel.

Back