• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kind of screws are supposed to hold a XT's top cover in place?

Fire-Flare

Experienced Member
I got a good deal on an XT to fix up, but the screws holding the cover on look like wood screws.

(About an inch long and black)

Does that sound like what's supposed to be back there? Hard drive screws that I thought were supposed to use aren't holding very well.

It's been awhile, but weren't those the slotted-washer-head-hex 8-32 with the 3/16 heads?

My memory is a bit shaky on whether these were 6-32 or 8-32 jobs, though.

You may need to also get a tap and die set to re-tap the threads on the cover, if those wood screws have fouled the threads.

Alternatively, you can get 8-32 self-tapping hex-head sheet metal screws.

805-1419-1.jpg

This reminds me of the time a bank hired me to fly a plane to an airport 100 miles away. It was a Piper Seneca and I had used one for my multi-engine rating. When we had the sheriff and the bank rep open the hangar and out came this very dirty plane. I looked it over and it had wood screws holding the engine covers on. I told them it would have to fixed in order to get a ferry permit. The mechanic had to drill out the dzuz fasteners and install new ones. You've got to wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

Some of the Taiwanese steel used to make generic PC cases was really soft--after taking the cover off a few times, the screw holes would strip out. I've got one case where that's been fixed by installation of 8-32 rivnuts.

Back