• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New England What size ball does this microsoft serial mouse need and where can I get one?

Covers: Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maine.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I have one of these mid 90's microsoft serial mice and its missing the internal ball. I have tried buying a few various balls online.. All the wrong size. Does anyone know the exact size of this ball and where I can get one (affordably?)
618a5eb2e137a45616ea17ae4bad114ed2a3e89d_grande.jpg

I dont have that many serial or ps2 mice anymore. I have maybe 5 or 6 total with this included. All the more reason I would like to get a ball in it. I remember when these were the mice you saw everywhere when they were new.. however its the only one in this style I have. Seems the Ball is larger than most other ball mice.

I'll measure my MS Dove Bar ball with a vernier caliper once everyone has woken up. I don't wont them to be woken up by the operation on the mouse to do that...

Last edited:
Oh I know. I remember them being the most common mice on early 486 systems with windows 3.x. I always prefered the next iteration which looked like a foot/shoe. More comfortable to use.

The IBM PS/2 range of mice where complete crap in build quality by comparison.

I found the next version after the Dove Bar mice better for my hands as well.

My first computer mouse was a Genius 3 button offering I used on my 286/16 with GeoWorks Ensemble 1.2 Pro. I had no problems with that wee rodent apart from the usual occasional cleaning of the ball and rollers. Apparently some folk found that a hugely difficult task to do ;)

Last edited:
The IBM PS/2 range of mice where complete crap in build quality by comparison.

I found the next version after the Dove Bar mice better for my hands as well.

My first computer mouse was a Genius 3 button offering I used on my 286/16 with GeoWorks Ensemble 1.2 Pro. I had no problems with that wee rodent apart from the usual occasional cleaning of the ball and rollers. Apparently some folk found that a hugely difficult task to do ;)
IvFFOK9.jpg

You mean this one? I got one in relatively good shape but broken. I had to use a small bit of bamboo from a chop-stick to repair the buttom. Works great now, you wouldnt know by looking at it or using it. But its an eyesore and not comfortable to use.

MS Dove Bar mouse ball is 25mm give or take. I'll attach a pick to this post once my Amazon Fire is up and running. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_090234_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220326_090234_hdr.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 5
So I am not crazy, it is a larger than normal mouse ball. I mean its all marginal, you wouldnt think much of it if you saw it but just large enough to be incompatible.

I have that mouse. Using digital calipers the ball measured exactly 25.40mm diameter, pressed Metric/Imperial button and it read 1.001 inch.

so i think we can surmise that this mouse uses a larger ball than most other mice and finding a replacement might be near impossible. strange...

Back