• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What The Heck Is This This?

Tim Wellman

looks like some kind of breakout box, maybe for a soundcard? The logo design is from the 80's. It's, as they say in the vintage jewelry business, 'as found' right now... actually, I just brought it home from Goodwill. They had a barrel full of junk, 50 cents an item... I picked up around 20 printer cables and power cables, a couple of odd serial-to-scsi cables (who knows what they're for), an old printer a/b switch box, an original ps/2 mouse, and this thing...
whatisthis.jpg

You might try this page:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

it looks up the FCC id of the device. It's identified a card or two for me. Oddly enough, it seems to be a bit hit or miss. For instance, a sound blaster 16 got no results. :?: :?: :?:

You might try to go with the serial or model numbers as well. It sort of looks like it goes from a mouse/keyboard connection to headphones, but I'm just guessing from a picture. How about a pic of the connectors (both in and out) and any numbers (FCC ID, model number, etc.) that might give more of a clue .

well it could be some kind of a PS/2 enabled IBM speaker... cause it could use a special sound card like Dragon Dictate, and the cord it uses happenes to be the pinout of a PS/2. Look up the serial number on IBM or somthing.

It's some kinda sound system from the PS/2 era, but that's only part of the system. There's a card that goes inside the computer too. Often they were found in classrooms, where several students were using the computers at once, so each could jack in a pair of (mono) headphones and hear thier lessons.

--T

Oh mabey it's an early prototype for a speach command dragon dictate, you know the kind that requires a special sound card of which two only exist in the world. :lol: but you know it looks like you could plug a head set into it. It could be like an audio switch. like there's a microphone and a speaker, both usable and also plugs for an external thing. Or! Or! Bonus! It could be a completely digital intercom or... no... I give up. Look up the model number?

The serial to SCSI cable is an Apple SCSI cable. They used a 25 pin connector at the CPU end. Other manufactures used the same comfiguration so it could be most anything else, even some IBM compatable cards used them for tape drives and scanners.

Back