• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what the hell?

daewoo 2800

Experienced Member
My POST test card came and it is a weird deal now
first all jumpers are on where they should be
Previously i had removed Jumper 1(tests battery current) which allowed the computer to
run through POST and load the windows. but leaving it off seems to cause the clock to lose time.
Now with the jumper on i experience this

so the first video is booting up as normal .. computer hangs before/at testing floppy

the second video is with the POST test card in the slot and there is no hang and the computer loads Windows!?
BUT WAIT! the test card somehow is letting the computer FINISH POST like its "catching" the error??
WTH is going on with that?

Could the bios code be corrupt? it hits an error and can't handle it?
info says that the chip is a UV kind so it can't be erased does that go for being corrupted too?

Never used a post card to troubleshoot a pc so i couldnt tell you. Seems your pc is loading so couldnt tell you.. post cards seem a weird way todiagnose faults

BUT WAIT! the test card somehow is letting the computer FINISH POST like its "catching" the error??
WTH is going on with that?
It isn't necessarily the fact that the card added is a POST card. Do you have some other type of card that you can use instead of the POST card. Use the same ISA slot, so that you are only changing one variable.

thanks guys for the asap answers/suggestions.
i'll check my big box of cards and see what i have for a test.

in the meantime i'll move the POST card just for sh*t &giggles
and the other side of the possibility of "its the POST card doing something"
plus it's easy to do now tonight.

Previously i had removed Jumper 1(tests battery current) which allowed the computer to
run through POST and load the windows. but leaving it off seems to cause the clock to lose time.
Now with the jumper on i experience this
Based on your other thread, it sounds like the jumper position that you are writing of, JP1, is used to either connect or disconnect the 'internal (soldered in) battery.

If so, surely the symptom is somehow related to the battery.

Speculation: The motherboard's charging circuitry for the 'internal' battery may be as simple as a resistor and diode connected in series to the +5V line. Could it be that the battery is faulty in a way (e.g. breaking down) that negatively impacts on the +5V line, more so in a particular area of the motherboard.

By changing slots with the POST card i still get a completed POST and a windows boot.

yes could be the battery charging circuitry and its failing the bios test maybe.
its a new battery so it should be good to go.

By changing slots with the POST card i still get a completed POST and a windows boot.
And rather than a POST card, is it the same with a different type of card? You may need to use two cards.

If yes, a possibility becomes: The additional card (POST or other) is in effect, adding noise filtering (done by capacitors) to a noisy +5V line, reducing the noise. With the noise source somehow related to the internal battery or the battery's charging circuitry.

And rather than a POST card, is it the same with a different type of card? You may need to use two cards.

If yes, a possibility becomes: The additional card (POST or other) is in effect, adding noise filtering (done by capacitors) to a noisy +5V line, reducing the noise. With the noise source somehow related to the internal battery or the battery's charging circuitry.
currently, there are 2 cards installed, a vid card and a SB16 card that also runs the cd player.

there are 2 of those spaces on the back of the computer that are open where cards were
one of them i removed which was a modem card.
i can reinstall it but i don't think it will be of use other than as the test, who does dialup anymore?
i'll install a card today maybe an old cable network card?

i put in a cable network card and nope, computer still doesn't get past POST
with an additional card

Back