• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What were Tandy Radio Shack's computer magazines?

punchy71

Experienced Member
How many different titles of monthly published magazines did Tandy Radio Shack computers have devoted to them back in the day and what years did they run? Also, are they still worth seeking out today for 'retro computing' purposes? Which one's were the best?
Thank you

While 80_Micro was probably the most published, I liked, TAS (The Alternate Source). There was a wealth of information in
each issue, and it all applied to the TRS-80's. There are some issues on the Internet, but not all TAS issues are available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alternate_Source_Programmer's_Journal

If anyone has the missing issues, please get them scanned and create PDF's before they are lost forever.

Thanks.

Larry

Don't forget 80 US Journal, which became Basic Computing in 1983. Then there was SoftSide, which published program listings for the masochists to type in. Northern Bytes was a newsletter that Jack Decker published after TAS stopped.

There were magazines, like Portable 100 for the Tandy 100 and 102, or other niche magazines for the color computer.

I echo @ldkraemer in wishing that the TAS journals could be found and scanned. I did track down Charlie Butler's son some years ago. He wanted to help, but he only had one print set to remember his father.

One that I used to like was called H&E Computronics. I even published an article in one of the issues (a program to use with NewDOS 80). It didn't last long but the ones they published were full of useful information

two/sixteen magazine was the only one completely dedicated to the Model II/16 line of TRS-80s.

Aren't you forgetting H&E Computronics Model II/12/16?

H&E Computronics Mod-II-12-16 i11 (1983)_Page_01.jpg

Don't you listen to the Trash Talk podcast? ;) (I know I forgot the Computronics part when mentioning the 'H&E' magazine)

At the same time as I read 80-Micro, I also read PCM . This was thru the 80's and PCM was a great source of Tandy/TRS-80 computer info and dedicated to them. It covered more for the 1000 series than 80-Micro did I believe.

Don't forget "Computer Shopper'. Not much in the way of technical articles, but it was a great 'go to' pub when you needed hardware.

I have a good collection of Byte, Kilabaud and Some 80 Micro Magazines in my Tandy Stash.

PCM Magazine was the best for Tandy 1000 coverage. I used to do game reviews for it in the late eighties.
They sent me a game and fifty dollars once I wrote and submitted a review that got published. I also kept the game.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
Not sure anyone mentioned it but here is the list of archived in various ebook or pdf format (my preferred format) downloadable magazine for trs-80 from https://www.archive.org/

80-micro,
Computer News 80,
H&E Computronics,
Northen Bytes,
Prog-80,
The Eighty,
TRS Times,
TRS-80 Microcomputer News,
TRS-80 UGN,
80-US,
Kilobaud Microcomputing,
Micro-80,
Softside,
TRS-80 Computing,
TRS-80 Monthly Newsletter (Tandy very own magazine)

enjoy.. I know I archived myself a copy on a NAS drive for access and searchability.

In the Falsoft department, I've got a small collection of The Rainbow from late 1983 through 1985, a handful from 1986 and 1988, and from March through May of 1993. I've also still got my fulfillment issues of PCM that Falsoft provided when The Rainbow met its end. PCM also died while I was a subscriber. Beyond that, in the Wayne Green dept., I've got an almost-complete subscription run of 80 Micro, and a smattering of Hot CoCo issues from late 1983 until January of 1986. I've also got reprints of TRS-80 Microcomputer News from 1982.

-Chris

80Micro Num 1.jpg80Micro Collection.jpg

I almost forgot, I've got the first two issues of Computer User magazine as well. I don't think that one lasted very long...

-Chris

CU Premiere Cover.jpgCU Premiere Model 4.jpg

Back