• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's a good Linux distro?

Wow, you can do all that? dang, I gotta get that now. I've always done System Restore Points when my Windows install goes south. But that doesn't always work. I just try to be careful. But wow, I need to get Partition Magic now.....

-VK

Do you even know what your talking about half of the time? Seriously.

MSconfig is a configuration utility, thats not going to help you if a file gets damaged or an .ini file gets destroyed. MSConfig just tweaks windows and the bootup. What are you going to do if boot.ini comes up missing? Or what if NTLDR and NTDETECT.com get damaged or end up missing? MSconfig isn't going to help you, and in this case neither will System Restore. So tell me, if NTLDR, boot.ini, and NTDETECT.com all got deleted, what would YOU do? Reformat and reinstall windows? Reinstall Windows? Or Other?

OK, for 1, alot of viruses, adware, spyware, etc... are just a file or service running in the background, set to run whenever windows is started. IN MSConfig, you can easily track it down & disable it from turning on when Windows boots up.

Second of all, if I was missing important system files, I'd boot into another OS & use a data recovery program before they get overwritten.

OR you could do what most people do and put them on a floppy so all you have to do is go into the recovery console and put them back. Its a lot eaiser and fiddling around with a second OS and trying to recover something that probably can't be recovered. CHKDSK also works wonders on saving Windows.

Do you use a Firewall? A firewall stops most of that stuff BEFORE it gets on your computer. There's lot's of good ones that are free. Like we use Zone Alarm at work. Or in extream cases, you could get an ISA server, but I wouldn't recommend you do that until you learn a lot more.......

Oh yeah, you can stop the service all you want, its still there and will probably start itself again sooner or later. There is no replacement for a good old fashioned backup. And Most of the time, they can hide the Virus from showing up in the process list and such, so you may not even be able to see it until it breaks something. Backups and Good Security Software, you can't do with out them.......

-VK

Yup, backing up is a must. I bet everyone here has had nasty experiences where they relaxed their routine. I lost all my Oblivion save files...never again. No amount of faffing about can recover files better than if you just have them on disk.

o_O, wow, that sucks. Very true though. I've had a disaster with the server once, never again. Backups, and often.....

-VK

Maybe I should of explained what I do w/ MSConfig in more detail :)

I use SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, & Sometimes Norton to rid my computer of viruses, but if they're still in use in the memory (& I can't use Task Manager to turn them off) the programs have a hard time deleting them. If I find them in MSConfig, I disable them from turning on, restart my computer w/ SpyBot or a similar program set to execute before explorer.exe, & then rid myself of the virus.

O_O You use Norton? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wow, you might want to get AVG free, or failing at that, anything other than Norton. Seriously, you might as well have nothing at all. Norton is worthless. AVG free edition is excellent. 98% of the machines that come into the shop that have ANYTHING made by Symentec have had Viruses spewing out of it. AVG is free too, and a lot more secure that Norton. That's probably your problem right there. That and Norton is Notorious for playing with the with system files, scrambling things about......

-VK

I can definately vouch for AVG free. I told my friend I had Norton. He laughed in my face, from what I understand with good reason. My parents use MacAfee, can't vouch for that either. I use AVG 'cos I'm mean and it's better that Norton, my free month subscription with Norton was enough to prove it ;)

McAfee NOT Macafee.

Anyway when my Subscription to McAfee runs out, I'm gonna use AVG free and probably Sygate Firewall. (I have a version of it BEFORE Symantec got their dirty hands on it.) Computer Assosiates has some nice security software out there I'm testing at work. ZoneAlarm is based off the same thing their useing. Its rather nice. But I'm going to stick to AVG and Sygate.....

-VK

<EDIT>
http://www.supcomputers.com/superiorstore/pest-patrol-antivirus-combo-p-1589.html

There's the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware part of the software I tested at work. Its nice and I had no problems with it. No Firewall though.

Yeah, I've installed it onto a machine full of viruses, updateded it, then it cleaned everything out. Dang thats good......

-VK

Norton came w/ this computer (Not my PIII, I'm on an HP Pavilion right now), & I'm too lazy to uninstall it, plus I already have it cracked for unlimited updates. (It's really easy, all you have to do is replace a single file)

I don't have any firewall or antivirus software on my PIII, since I just got my WLAN router back up. (For some reason, the "Factory Default" option in the router's software didn't work, but the reset button on the back did...)

OK, let's see what we've got here. You just admitted to illegal theft of software and you not useing anything at all on your other machine. I wonder if Symantec presses charges against priates?

And c'mon, don't steal stuff. Thats just lame. Either pay for something or just get a free/opensource program that does the samething. Stealing software is the all time stupidest thing I have ever seen. There's always a free or Open Source program that does the same thing. AVG free edition for example.....

And you do realize that the Government watches popular Internet forums like this one. Congradulations on starting your FBI record. You got a long way to go if your gonna try to catch up with me.......

-VK

Wow .. now that's a good euphimism. Next time I pull a five finger discount in my favorite store I'm going to explain that I'm just brining freedom to the valuable things I've chosen.

The FBI probably doesn't care about this group. If anything, they are interested in the more advanced collectors for forensics reasons. There isn't anything going on here that is outrageous. Go find old issues of 2600 for some real old-school phun. :)

As for the NSA, given what has been happening the US lately, I'm sure that if it is not encrypted it is being keyword scanned. And probably not when it gets posted, but probably while the HTML GET/POST is enroute. My new joke is:

'Backup services provided by the NSA .. Our motto is consider it done!'

FBI wise, If I'm here, more than likely they have stopped by atleast a few times. Trust me, if I'm active on a Forum, they have checked on me a few times.

In this case, NSA= National Security Agency

I bet they've got something on me too.....

-VK

Back