• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's a good Linux distro?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
*dies*

Would it make you feel better if I said that I have?

Anyway, somebody really ought to bring this back to topic. But I can't so I'll let someone else do it

Anybody who wants to continue the Linux Distro question thread originally started by Atari can do so here. Otherwise, it's very easy to start a new thread, which is where WLAN discussions and black helicopter reports should go. (And not in the same new thread.)

I recommend Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06.
It can use gnome or kde like most xserver capable linux distros and has a really nice terminal setup, keeping a user from logging in as root everytime they need to compile/install.
It uses a synaptic package manager to install packages, like if you choose vlc media player(best in the world for linux) it will install all needed packages to run it for you, keeping you from pulling your hair out. I hate compiling for an hour and getting "you are missing libsmed or something, can make you want to pull your hair out, but with synaptic packagae manager, you dont have to use terminal or install cumbsersome rpms. You can add repositories for adding packages. It also lets you search for types of software and packages to install. Ubuntu only uses one disk as well, making it easy and quick to install. It detects most modern hardware(atari, you wont have a problem, it will easily find your older hardware)
Ubuntu, unlike fedora, uses fewer resources and runs fast even on CPUs under 1GHz and 256MB RAM. Ubuntu comes with firefox of course with auto update installs. Ubuntu keeps itself updated as well, for security and such.
I have used fedora, turbo, basic redhat, mandrake and several others and nothing came close to ubuntu for ease of use. If you want to pretend you are a hacker and crap, you hit ctrl+alt+F1, the terminal pops up immediately, and after you get off the ego pile, hit ctrl+alt+F7 to go back to desktop.
Ubuntu has too many features to mention, just try it out for yourself.
It even has a self configuring grub loader that detects and adds other OSs. It will read and create ntfs partitions and fats.
I use the extended 2 linux partition on smaller drives and extended 3 on larger drives.

For anyone wanting to know howto setup partitions on windows, here is how in win 98/me/95
goto run, type cmd, type fdisk
setup partitions.

Windows 2000/xp
goto control panel, got admin area, goto services, goto computer(or something similar, not on an xp machine right now) there will be an area there for drive configuration, great partitioning software I think, very nice and fast.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Oh, and atari2600a, please try using a search engine from time to time. I use yahoo personally for everything, but google, ask jeeves, etc are great as well.

Last edited:
I'm not well versed in Linux/Unix stuph at all, but I can't help but wonder if an older version of say Slackware might be a good first choice. Maybe not up to snuph security-wise and all, but possibly a less steep learning curve then a newer distro. Or Debian, but that takes the most thought to install. I have (2) older books which have Corel Linux (based on Debian) on cd, and anyone that wants a copy...for shipping (media rate?).

I think Atari tries to say that Linux distributions come in many levels of complexity. Slackware is a basic "framework" distribution that many other so-called distributions are built upon (adding bells and whistles, but being more or less compatible with the original). Other distributions may be built upon Debian in similar ways. So you can install Slackware - which is a Linux distribution - or you can install a distribution built upon Slackware, which would be one more abstraction layer.

umm, if you mean simply that Slackware isn't packaged and sold commer-cially, that shouldn't make a difference. Debian is a full blown distro if ever there was one, but it's not sold. I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject, it wouldn't take much to know more then I do, but all the literature I've ever seen refers to SW as A distro, and in fact the oldest surviving one.

Back